Another new record from The National

Laugh Track was announced at their homecoming gigs over the weekend and released this morning. ..Frankenstein took me a while but I love it. This might be even better?

I already heard a few of these when I saw them in the summer. First impression of the whole record is absolutely ace.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• And downloaded, that’ll be the drive into work today. Thanks for the heads up. :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m a big fan of The National but can’t get onboard with this year’s output. 

I’m Easy to Find was patchy, Sleep Well Beast was the last album that I can really enjoy in its entirety.

It happens - you can’t expect any artist to keep producing great record after great record and also your tastes change as a listener. 

You might not want to go in the same direction as a band or equally you might get sick of the formula and yearn for something different. 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    I’m a big fan of The National but can’t get onboard with this year’s output. 

I’m Easy to Find was patchy, Sleep Well Beast was the last album that I can really enjoy in its entirety.

It happens - you can’t expect any artist to keep producing great record after great record and also your tastes change as a listener. 

You might not want to go in the same direction as a band or equally you might get sick of the formula and yearn for something different. 

That's fair enough. I struggled with Frankenstein until I saw them live. Ironically, despite being a fan of Phoebe Bridgers, the tracks with her on that record are the weakest for me. But overall I love the record now.

The new one is definitely more immediate and reminds me most of TWFM - might still be worth a go.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • This is definitely a more accessible album for long time National fans who have struggled with recent releases. That said, a bit of time and listening to recent releases and I’m back onboard and of the opinion that they haven’t done a bad album yet. 
  • I still need to listen but I do like the previous new album!

They'll always be a top band for me thanks to that amazing run from Alligator to Trouble Will Find Me which is outstanding.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28991
    They lost me after High Velvet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    A band I just can't like. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5472
    I think this year's stuff will grow on me, but I'm not absolutely enamoured with it though like I was Trouble Will Find Me and Sleep Well Beast (I liked that kind of quasi-electro direction they were headed in... these do seem to be a return to the older style). I'm sure repeated play will drill them into my brain...
  • The National are a band I've tried to get into over the years but just cannot seem to gel with them. Much like Broken Social Scene and Ben Folds, this is music I should like but something seems missing..

I do like Eucalyptus,  they mention The Afghan Whigs, the greatest band of all time and thus earns respect points.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4958
    Loving this album btw, very immediate and a nice distillation of their past output and TWFM meets SWB. Great stuff :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...