Trade an EVH 5150 iii 50W For Marshall JVM Satriani?

What's Hot
As the title suggests, I've been offered a straight swap, my EVH 5150 iii 50W for a Marshall JVM410 Joe Satriani model.

How would you compare the two, sound like a decent trade? Are the JVM's all they're cracked up to be? I guess it's better for me value wise, but will I like it? I do like the modded Marshall tone, but then I like the EVH too, although it's maybe lacking a little low end for me.

Opinions please! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I'd definitely do it. I've had both amps.

The Satch JVM is superior to the regular JVM. Not as much useless gain, and seems a bit tighter sounding too. Channel switching is much quicker, and the cleans are nice.
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1456
    edited October 2014
    Good to know, I was hoping you'd answer as I know you've had both previously. I guess if I'm not happy I could flip it and not be out of pocket.

How did you find it for heavier stuff? I play more old school heavy, like Eyehategod, Iron Monkey that type of thing.
    I never had any problems getting the amount of gain out of it I wanted, and the built in noise-gates are really killer for chugga-chug stuff. I don't really play old school thrash or anything, but I assume it would cut it.
  • Awesome, think I'll go for it then, picking it up later today.
    As long as you don't expect it to sound like a 5150, you should get along just fine. It's not a 5150, it's got all the hallmarks of the British sound. Extremely versatile amps.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    interesting...i wouldnt think a JVM would suit Eyehategod type tones...to me JVM amps sound a bit too modern for that doomy sound. But would be interested in what you think of it.
  • Hmm, been playing it extensively most of the day yesterday and I'm not sure yet.

First opinions are that the crunch channel is excellent, I really love that hot rodded Marshall tone and it does that brilliantly.

However the high gain channel may not be to my taste, it's great in its own way, I'm just not sure if it's modern enough for me. The 5150 iii was perhaps too tight for what I need, so I guess I need something in between. 

Maybe I'll just stop faffing and get another Dual Rec and be done with it! 

I think for now I'll float it on the Classifieds but continue to use it, don't really have to decide on an amp 100% until our tour comes up in December.
  • If you can track one down, check out the latest Multiwatt Reborn Dual Rectifier.  I tried one and it was a bit brighter and tighter than my Roadster was.  Seemed like a cool update.
    Sorry to hear you're not digging it Jay. All subjective I suppose, I thought it'd be fine, Sam thought it'd be too modern, and you think it isn't modern enough!!

But yeah, it is a sort of half-way house amp between classic gain sounds and ultra tight modern gain sounds. If you want the later, it doesn't really do that, hence why I said it wasn't a 5150 type of thing.
  • I am really interested in the new Rectifier, I've had a Roadster, a two channel and an old three channel, I actually preferred the overdrive tone of the three channel! The Roadster clean tone was lovely though.

And that's cool Drew, was definitely worth taking a punt on it! It's actually a really nice amp, if I played more classic leaning stuff I'd just live on the crunch channel, use the OD channel for leads and never look back, it's great for that type of tone, I just need something a bit more modern, but also a bit more wider sounding than the 5150 tone.
  • Kinda surprised you lack bottom end on a 5150, but when you said you wanted a "wider" tone, I totally understand what you mean.

If you wanted to gamble, there are a couple of framus cobras on the bay that are not too pricey. They might scratch the high gain itch, though I've never tried one I've wanted to forever...
  • Well, it was a 5150iii 50W, and while it did sound good it didn't have anywhere near the thump of our other guitarists 6505. I am beginning to wonder if the 100W 5150iii might solve that problem?

I am keeping an eye on the Cobra's for sure, I think if the JVM sells soon I might just take a punt on the cheaper ones. 

I've also got a Kemper so I'm also thinking I could go down the valve power amp route with that, so far in the FX returns of various amps I'm getting great results.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited October 2014
    The 100 watter sounds bigger and better (IMO) than the 50, not to mention the separate controls.

So many people online claim they sound the same, but I don't agree, also there are direct A/B clips online that show they don't.

First is the 50, second is the 100.  Same mic position.  I don't care that the 50 sounds decent - the 100 watter sounds like a 5150 and the 50 watt doesn't have the same mid range.  I'm listening on some headphones right now and I can hear quite a big difference. 

I love the 6505 and 5150 III 100 watter because they have a very specific midrange character.   I don't agree that the 50 watter sounds the same - it sounds the same family, but it doesn't sound the same as the bigger amps.

This guy (he does some cool IRs too, check his sig) has done a comparison of the EVH 50 and 6505:

You can hear quite a big difference - the EVH fits the mix quite well for recording but I honestly prefer the tone of the 6505 and the midrange is really different between the two.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can certainly hear the difference in those clips you posted, really interesting.

I'm wondering if I should possibly look out for an EVH 100W now, as I said the 50W is nice, it was just lacking balls, which the 100W could fix.

There's also the option of a trusty 5150/6505 as well, I've owned those before and they get the job done, plus they go cheap and are more than plentiful secondhand.
  • Hmm, had the first proper practice with the JVM JS last night. I had extensively tested it at home but this was the first time at full band volume into my Vintage 30 cab.

I also got myself a Bad Monkey for a boost (£20 on Amazon) to try and help tighten it up.

...And it sounded absolutely killer! Think I may have been to hasty now, that crunch channel in the 800 and AFD modes boosted are just awesome, one of the best modded Marshall type tones I've heard. It's also loud as hell, I dread to think what it'd be like actually cranked.

So I think I'll live with it for a bit unless I get a really good trade offer, looking forward to using the OD Channel with my really heavy band at the end of the month and seeing how that fares.
    That sounds like a reasonable plan. Keep it around for a while, run it through its paces. When I had it, well... don't know if you've heard my band, but it did a pretty reasonable job. The low-end was a bit too buzzy once Marshall replaced the mainboard, and I couldn't resolve it. If it hadn't of broken on me (still not sure why!) it would still be my main amp.

I used it when we played The Willow Festival... check here for some uninspiring shots; also... ignore the vocals. It never worked out, had to can him.

• Yeah, I did check your band out from your signature actually, sounds good, I noticed your fully instrumental now, singers are nothing but hassle! ;)

Your JVM certainly sounds great in these clips, were you using a Vintage 30 cab as well? I think it really helps, I consider this amp pretty dark for a Marshall.

I think the only thing that scares me now is the fact yours took a dive and you had to get it fixed! I've got a big festival at the start of November and tour in December so I hope it doesn't die on me, otherwise I'll be reduced to our backup amp which is a Bugera 6260. I must admit I haven't heard of many other people having issues with the Satriani version though.
    Yeppers, v30's. ENGL 2x12 in those clips. I too haven't heard of many people having issues. I never truly understood what was wrong with mine. I would plug into a pedal and then into the amp... everything would be fine. I would plug directly into the amp... and the signal would be ultra-low and muffled, and very quiet and lacking gain and balls. Seemed like some buffering issue of some sort. Anyway... got the amp back, swore blind that it sounded different, couldn't bond with it any longer.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    Iron Monkey used Marshall JCM2000, although when Stu joined he used his old Matamp.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    Actually, Steve who was on the first EP uses a Laney Linebacker now. I think he was using that when I played with them.