New rig day!

What's Hot
OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
I finally got the cab today to complete this setup. It sounds bloody awesome! Anyway, pic !

Cheers!
Rob
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    I do like vertical cabs! What's the amp? Looks like you've got yourself a good ole mountain of amps :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on the collection in the photo, I deduce that you, ossy, do indeed rock.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    I'm an ampoholic, but in remission,. I'm down to 5 now. There was time when I had 30 at any one time!
    The amp was built by Tommy Cougar, it's a Mystic Blue Star, which is based on a Dumble 100w ODS HRM but with 6L6's. There's a Catualator (Dumbleator) in the rack along with an old Intellifex bought here from a forum member. The amp is amazing, but very unforgiving, there's no hiding place, but if you play well, it does reward.
    As for rocking, I try, but I'm 50 next year so my moves are a bit more conservative these days
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    That's is some picture!
  • ossyrocks;368989" said:
    I'm an ampoholic, but in remission,. I'm down to 5 now. There was time when I had 30 at any one time!
    The amp was built by Tommy Cougar, it's a Mystic Blue Star, which is based on a Dumble 100w ODS HRM but with 6L6's. There's a Catualator (Dumbleator) in the rack along with an old Intellifex bought here from a forum member. The amp is amazing, but very unforgiving, there's no hiding place, but if you play well, it does reward.
    As for rocking, I try, but I'm 50 next year so my moves are a bit more conservative these days
    That's an awesome looking room!

I've got to ask, what's an unforgiving amp? I've read this a lot and still don't really understand the term.

I always thought the least forgiving amps to be very high gain - near meltdown when it comes to feedback and noise, but a lot of people say this about clean Dumble types.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    edited October 2014
    This is hard to describe. Many amps just blurr your notes together and the compression they have makes them all sound even regardless of your accuracy and pick attack. Good Dumble style amps are extremely dynamic and responsive to pick attack, and every note stands on it's own as well as being part of the chord or phrase you are playing. For instance, with my amp, even in overdrive, I can play beautifully clean phrases and chords by picking lightly, or make it grind and wail by picking harder. So, achieving an even tone or level of gain during a lead phrase is all about the pick attack and accuracy. You can also hear every note perfectly, so one slip up in accuracy or picking dynamic stands out like a real clanger. I think just playing through one of these style of amps will improve your technique over time, you have no choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ossyrocks;369295" said:
    This is hard to describe. Many amps just blurr your notes together and the compression they have makes them all sound even regardless of your accuracy and pick attack. Good Dumble style amps are extremely dynamic and responsive to pick attack, and every note stands on it's own as well as being part of the chord or phrase you are playing. For instance, with my amp, even in overdrive, I can play beautifully clean phrases and chords by picking lightly, or make it grind and wail by picking harder. So, achieving an even tone or level of gain during a lead phrase is all about the pick attack and accuracy. You can also hear every note perfectly, so one slip up in accuracy or picking dynamic stands out like a real clanger. I think just playing through one of these style of amps will improve your technique over time, you have no choice.
    Fair enough.

That's actually exactly what playing through the clean channel of my peavey bandit is like! It's quite easy to pick a bit too hard or too soft, which can ruin the sound of a phrase, although most clean and mid drive amps I've tried have that quality to them.