Gotham

What's Hot
dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
Really not impressed so far.

I was hoping for a dark cop drama starring Jim Gordon, with an occasional reference to a young Batman / villain here and there. My understanding was that that was the basic idea.

But nooooooo. Pretty much every effing scene is this:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-hjJh2gv/1/1050x10000/i-hjJh2gv-1050x10000.jpg

I'll give it 2 more episodes
All practice and no theory
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    I'm enjoying it, but it's fluff, and I'm a huge batman nut.

Ben wotnot is good as Gordon, and the guy playing Bullock is excellent. I think I like Sean Pertwee as Alfred too but he hasn't really done much yet. The guy playing Cobblepot is also excellent, but like you I'm struggling to see how they'll get more than a season from it before it just gets pointless.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Yeah I love all things comic, I guess I'm just disappointed. Bullock is the saving grace so far. Not sure about Alfred yet, he seems pretty hard.

I binned off Arrow after half a season but that's getting really good now apparently. I might catch up with that now, and leave Gotham until it improves :D
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Arrow is ace, and I saw the pilot for Flash a while ago too, also pretty good. It would be nice for Gotham to exist in the same universe, but that won't happen.

The guy who plays the arrow is proper built too, it makes it believable.
    My V key is broken
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Complete and utter shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Interesting, I just started watching Arrow. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited October 2014
    Arrow has been a strange grower. I was just about ready to give up when it started to get a lot better.
    Unlike agents of shield which I quit 3 quarters of the way through the first season, still kicking myself for waiting that long.
  • Another batman nut here.   How have you been watching Gotham?

Ive been hoping it would be good but sounds like I'm going to be disappointed.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    The comic in the first post is exactly how the first episode of Gotham seemed to me.  They spend far too much time on little Bruce Wayne as well, considering they've said Batman will definitely not appear in the show.  It's like every 20 minutes they have to say "HEY LOOK IT'S LITTLE BRUCE WAYNE SOMEONE KILLED HIS PARENTS AND HE'S GONNA BE BATMAN JUST NOT ON THIS SHOW ISN'T THAT COOL LOLOLOLOL"

Second episode was a little better, mostly as there was some semblance of a thin plot as opposed to just introducing characters. I have a feeling that it might end up being a decent show once they settle down a bit.

Adam_MD said:
    Unlike agents of shield which I quit 3 quarters of the way through the first season, still kicking myself for waiting that long.
    Bad timing there, as that's when it shifted from being 'tolerable but mostly a big pile of meh' to 'Holycrapthisshowjustgotreallygood' and stayed there.  It's like a completely different show now, they just took so long to set it all up that most people died of boredom before it happened. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fuzzdog said:
    The comic in the first post is exactly how the first episode of Gotham seemed to me.  They spend far too much time on little Bruce Wayne as well, considering they've said Batman will definitely not appear in the show.  It's like every 20 minutes they have to say "HEY LOOK IT'S LITTLE BRUCE WAYNE SOMEONE KILLED HIS PARENTS AND HE'S GONNA BE BATMAN JUST NOT ON THIS SHOW ISN'T THAT COOL LOLOLOLOL"

:D
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    "Darkness! No parents!"

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17461
    I don't think its too bad, although they do need to be careful to keep it about Gordon rather than Wayne but of course he is going to play a part  in some of it

For the record I also watched every single episode of smallville which is about 160 hours of my life I will never get back - and there was only probably 30 hours of actual story in the whole thing!!

I like Arrow, its definitely getting better although i still don't get his motivation for "saving my city" which he keeps saying every 5 minutes.  Gotham is better than this but it is currently a bit too reliant on the hunt for easter eggs and potential jokers

the pilots of Flash and Constantine both look promising, although as always constantine will split the crowd. 
    Episode 3 was a lot better I thought - it's settled into being a cop show with some light lesbo action, and the wink wink references are dying down.

Got Ep 1 of Flash lined up for tonight, looking forward to Constantine too
  • Only just managed to watch the 1st episode.  I thought it was OK.  clearly they had a lot of characters to get in the first show so there were a lot of references but it seemed to work.   Bullock has always been portrayed in the comics as a hard street cop, but not as a corrupt cop. Will be interesting to see how that developed.  And Montoya was Bullocks partner for a while and from memory never a member of Major crimes.  

Ill keep going with it. 

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    Well...  Ive stuck with this and its grown and matured very well indeed.  How many others are still watching.

The recent episode where Fish Mooney, pulled her own eye out with a spoon and stamped on it rather than allow a crooked surgeon to have both her eyes was petty grim.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    I stopped watching after 4 episodes - never reallyy got into it. Might give it another go at some point - need internet at home first though! 
    I've watched the first season to the end now - I think it's improved a lot as it's gone along. It's been picked up for a second season so I'm hopeful it will get even better.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm enjoying it. Some dark moments like the current Fish storyline. Daredevil is growing on me as well. The Kingpin really kicked it up a notch.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Couple of episodes off the end. I love Donal Logue and Dr Who's son in it. And I like the Bruce Wayne as detective element.
    My V key is broken
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    I've watched all 22 episodes and really enjoyed it, it got better and better.
    #thebatesmotelband