Wiring query (involving a Schaller Megaswitch)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
edited October 2023 in Making & Modding
I quite fancy getting a Schaller Model E 5-Way Blade Megaswitch to wire up three pickups in a way that gives Bridge and neck in the middle position.

The only info I have found thus far is on the Schaller site, this is the diagram, which should give

1 bridge
2 bridge and mid parallel
3 bridge and neck parallel
4 mid and neck parallel
5 neck

That's one ugly pic! anyway, I reckon that I could follow that but ..... I just have one volume and no tone control. Anyone know how I would wire up with just the one volume and no other pots? Would it just be the case of not having the wires going from 1 & 2 to the two pots? That would seem fairly logical to me but I don't want to go to all the effort of this then it doesn't work cos I missed something!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Yep I think so, and just connect the master tone pot to the volume knob as you'd usually do. (I think that's how it was done on my Framus Diablo which had a similar switch- maybe even the same one.)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Yes - omit the connections from 1 and 2 to the tone pots, and connect the tone control to the volume control as normal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    ICBM said:
    Yes - omit the connections from 1 and 2 to the tone pots, and connect the tone control to the volume control as normal.
    Sorry I'm a bit thick - 'connect the tone control' - but I'm having no tone knob at all, or has something gone over my head?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    edited October 2023
    What ICBM said … except any mention of tone pots.

I have the Megaswitch E in a couple of guitars. Their master tone controls receive the signal via the volume pot à la Telecaster. (Terminal R in the Schaller schematic diagram.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Ah, right! In which case just ignore all the tone control connections.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

axisus said:
    ICBM said:
    Sorry I'm a bit thick - 'connect the tone control' - but I'm having no tone knob at all, or has something gone over my head?
    Woops I misread that last night as "one tone control"! Sorry for the confusion :) If you have no tone pot, just ignore all connections to the tone control as @ICBM rightly said.
    Dave_Mc said:

Woops I misread that last night as "one tone control"!
    So did I :).

ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Woops I misread that last night as "one tone control"!
    So did I :).
    Very weird... it's amazing how what you expect to see can influence you!