Direct mount pickup screws

What's Hot
This feels like a daft question, but has anybody got a source for good quality pickup screws, specifically Precision/Jazz screws for direct mounting?  The ones I've had in the past seem to be made of butter or something - the heads are so soft that the heads strip with the slightest slip.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    The usual suspects. Axesrus, Allparts (AKA Noparts), StewMac, Alegree, Six String Supplies.

If you were upgrading the pickups in a budget bass, most pickup makers furnish good quality steel screws and springs, rubber tubing or cavity floor pads as appropriate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Allparts (AKA Noparts)
    LOL

Seriously, though, +1 on your list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Make sure you're not using a Pozidriv - most are supplied as a normal cross head phillips.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    Make sure you're not using a Pozidriv - most are supplied as a normal cross head phillips.
    Yeah, was careful to get a driver that fits.  I think I probably just need to drill better pilot holes and lubricate the screw threads in all honesty, but the screw heads I've experienced thus far on my basses have been *really* soft.  I've ordered some replacements from Black Dog and will proceed with extra caution.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Also if you can get a screw the major diameter of which is less than that of the holes on your pickup feet; as long as the head of the screw is larger than the hole it will do the job of holding the pick up down - whilst preserving the thread on the feet.

That way you will retain the option to suspend the pickup from a pickguard in the future should you so wish...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    jaymenon said:
    Also if you can get a screw the major diameter of which is less than that of the holes on your pickup feet; as long as the head of the screw is larger than the hole it will do the job of holding the pick up down - whilst preserving the thread on the feet.

That way you will retain the option to suspend the pickup from a pickguard in the future should you so wish...
    Yes, I’ve found that the screws for holding down Fender type string trees are good for this !
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I have used the regular pickup ring mounting screw, to thread directly into a pilot hole into the body, a few times.
    Set the height using the screw against the body cavity ( this makes sense in the next step ). which is a bit tricky with strings on.
    When you have the height set, you have to somehow mark the position, use a pickup ring as a guide, drill a couple of small pilot holes, which could be something like 1.5 mm, and are usually centred in the pickup rout, and then as the screw is driven into the wood, it will turn in the pickup foot, preserving the height. Add some springs under the pickup foot, if it bothers you that the only thing holding the pickup up is the threads on the feet.
    It isn't as good as having the feet of the pickup at exactly the right height to be in direct contact, but I have done it a few times with success.