Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Gibson 1994 Les Paul Studio PRICE DROP £SOLD

What's Hot
jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 318
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
£550

Recently got this, unfortunately I’ve also recently had to buy a new clutch for the car. Life can be cruel…

It’s a straight up fantastic guitar; was a wine red Studio, ‘94, but a previous owner had it professionally resprayed in white 2K and lacquered and it looks good as new. I’ve stripped the dreadful stock Gibson 300k pots and swapped for high quality 500k all round, mix of CTS and Bourns, with a pair of Iron Gears, Blues Engine and Hot Slag installed and a partial coil split on the tone pot. 

It plays fantastically well, with a big ‘59 rounded profile, gorgeous thick rosewood board, immaculately cut nut and fully levelled and dressed frets giving a super low, buzz and choke free action all the way up the neck. This thing is a pure joy to play and rings like a bell; it sounds chimey and pristine clean and loves all the gain you can throw at it too, maintaining clarity throughout with huge sustain. It also benefits from a set of gold Wilkinson 18:1 Grover clones installed. This is a phenomenal guitar and I had intended to use it for gigging (hence all the upgrades) but sadly it won’t get me to work…

Right, downside for some - the serial number has been lost in the respray. I assume if you were overly bothered it could be revealed by taking a few layers off but that would be your call! The bridge and tailpiece seem to have been swapped by a previous owner for the colour only, but they’re serviceable enough and don’t impact the guitar’s outstanding tone or playability. This guitar is fully genuine however, a few seconds of playing it and you know that mid 90s Gibson quality, sound and contours. Obviously I’d prefer collection on this anyway being a Gibson, but if you’d rather play it first to get peace of mind for yourself you’re totally welcome to give it a once-over! This is obviously reflected in the price.

Whoever buys this will not be disappointed; I’ve played a huge number of Les Pauls and this one is top five, easily. 

Pictures to follow tomorrow, but do give me a shout if you’re interested.

I’m located in Caerphilly, near Cardiff. I can post if required but would very much prefer collection!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3303
    Nice! Would that no be an ebony fretboard on that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 779
    Deijavoo said:
    On a 94, yes, should be.
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 536
    Moloch said:
    Deijavoo said:
    On a 94, yes, should be.
    Depends, on a Wine Red '94 there's a good chance it won't be. Was the transition year and most of what I have seen aren't, a few are though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deijavoo said:
    Not according to the OP "gorgeous thick rosewood board"
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 779
    edited October 2023
    RobG3294 said:
    Moloch said:
    Deijavoo said:
    On a 94, yes, should be.
    Depends, on a Wine Red '94 there's a good chance it won't be. Was the transition year and most of what I have seen aren't, a few are though.
    Purely anecdotally, I have never encountered a 1994 Les Paul Studio that hasn't had an ebony fretboard and that comes from having been in the market to buy one in late 1994, trying many and eventually settling on the one that I still own today (not to mention seeing and playing others since). Given that the guitar has been heavily refinished to the point of completely obscuring the serial number and those serials are notorious for misreading anyway, due to the format being changed for that year, personally I find it more likely that it's from a little later.

This is all splitting hairs of course, because I haven't encountered a bad 1990s Les Paul (or Gibson, for that matter), hence I still own two. Also rosewood is fine (preferred even for some) and the price is decent.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 318
    Deijavoo said:
    Nope, rosewood, but it’s one hell of a piece of rosewood!
    Well…just pulled it out for the photos and it’s just too good. Sorry, withdrawn for now, will sell a kidney or something…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7352
    jdbwales said:
    Well…just pulled it out for the photos and it’s just too good. Sorry, withdrawn for now, will sell a kidney or something…
    I'd still like to see the photos coz it sounds ace
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 932
    tony99 said:
    jdbwales said:

gusman2x said:
    tony99 said:
    jdbwales said:
    Haha, fair enough: 

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    That’s lovely, don’t blame you for hanging onto it!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9834
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8944
    That is sexy as fuck
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 536
    Moloch said:
    RobG3294 said:
    Moloch said:
    Deijavoo said:
    On a 94, yes, should be.
    Purely anecdotally, I have never encountered a 1994 Les Paul Studio that hasn't had an ebony fretboard and that comes from having been in the market to buy one in late 1994, trying many and eventually settling on the one that I still own today (not to mention seeing and playing others since). Given that the guitar has been heavily refinished to the point of completely obscuring the serial number and those serials are notorious for misreading anyway, due to the format being changed for that year, personally I find it more likely that it's from a little later.

This is all splitting hairs of course, because I haven't encountered a bad 1990s Les Paul (or Gibson, for that matter), hence I still own two. Also rosewood is fine (preferred even for some) and the price is decent.
    https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/1994-les-paul-studio.36692/

Alpine White continued with an ebony board until late 2000s at least. Many wine red are rosewood in 94.
    crazy nice guitar
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1117
    That's really rather nice.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2485
    I'm normally averse to white LPs but that's stunning. I can see why you've decided to keep it.
    beed84 said:
    I'm normally averse to white LPs but that's stunning. I can see why you've decided to keep it.
    I think he couldn't be bothered charging his profile pic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15001
    tony99 said:
    I think he couldn't be bothered changing his profile pic
    Profile pic is of a Custom with multiple ply binding and block inlays rather than trapezoids.

Why on Earth would somebody using the ID "JDB" choose such a thing? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ugh…I’m thinking this is available again, Christmas plus two autistic kids with very specific interests is expensive!