WezV - MandoSG rebuild

What's Hot
I built this for @PhilKing ; some years ago to match a full size SG style

It's fun, but I went for a mandolin scale length of 14 1/4", which is especially tight with all 12 strings 

So we have decided to extend the scale, which will involve a new fretboard and the bridge moving back a bit.

First step, iron off the fretboard

An old kitchen knife and domestic iron gets us there in about 15 minutes. 

I've made a laser cut template with an increased 16 1/2" scale length 

That will obviously give less frets, but much more usable spacing

The bridge will need moving back to match.  This shows the new spacing.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It looks great with the new board colour too. Laser cutter is earning is keep! Really brilliant for fingerboards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    edited November 2023
    That is just a template, the actual board will be just like the previous one, even cut from the same piece of wenge

but it is certainly useful,  its marked out 4 fretboards this afternoon, none of which are standard scale lengths.  This one is on the right.

• WezV said:
      its marked out 4 fretboards this afternoon, none of which are standard scale lengths. 

Definitely a useful machine. I've only ever made two fretted instruments from scratch, but by far the most tedious part was measuring and cutting the fret slots.
    Can the laser cut the actual slots the right width as well or is it really only being used for marking?
  • WezV said:

I'm confused...is it cake?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023
    WezV said:
      its marked out 4 fretboards this afternoon, none of which are standard scale lengths. 

Definitely a useful machine. I've only ever made two fretted instruments from scratch, but by far the most tedious part was measuring and cutting the fret slots.
    Can the laser cut the actual slots the right width as well or is it really only being used for marking?
    i probably could get it to cut the slots fairly accurately, but am instead using it to give a deep score line that the saw will find easily.

If I did cut them to an accurate width there is a risk of weakened charred edges to the fret slots, if I cut them to accurate depth the settings would be different for every piece of wood.  Better to just score a line and finish off with a saw, it only takes a few minutes to get them correct. 

I could also cut the boards out, but again prefer to trim with bandsaw and plane to the engraved line

none of these 4 boards were standard scale lengths

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

I'm confused...is it cake?
    maybe...

I use an old kitchen knife as I find it works better than the proper seam separation knife I used to use, although i often start it off with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom