SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Aria FA-70, Super 400/L5/ES-350 type semi acoustic with case - £350, can post

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
I'm not sure whether this is one for the forum, but rather here than eBay for now, so here goes:

It's a 2001, Samick-built Aria FA-70 in superb condition, and really well built, together with Gator hard case. It's even got bound 'F holes,' you know. I think it's a handsome beast, but there again I think I am as well, which is the very definition of subjective.

I'd had a few of these in the past, and always liked them - they're brilliant value for money. I'd graduated to ES-175's. L-5's and ES-350's, but they've gone now and current prices (and playing ability) precludes another coming in just now.

I spotted this one a few months ago, and couldn't resist it. No issues with it that I know of, and  everything works fine. It's got a brand new (last night) set of D'Addario balanced tension 11's and has a nice low action.  I couldn't stop playing it for a week after I'd got it, and then I hatched a plan. It wasn't a cunning plan, I have to admit, just the usual nonsense.

My plan was to get a set of HB sized P90's for it (or a couple of Charlie Christians), replace the pots (for reasons that I know not) and get a new nut fitted, as this one does the job, but a new one would really be ideal after 21 years. So really, what I'd have is a cut price ES-350, right?

So, obviously I haven't done any of the above and now I need to make room.

It's obviously based on a L-5, but is laminate, so I suppose it's a bit of a cross between an L-5 and ES-350.  The Scottish jazz player, Jim Mullen, uses an FA-71, which is the single pickup version of this - it's a nice guitar to take out and play if you don't want Guinness and crisps all over your L-5, or just a nice thing to do a little bit of jazz or old school blues on at home. Or just ordinary chords if you like, because it's a nice strummer, with a deep tone amplified.

I don't mind meeting up, as aficionados of dogging spots and lavatory attendants nationwide will know, and you're very welcome to visit the punishment rooms at DB1 Towers and enjoy the excellent, if damp and restrictive, facilities. I'm in Stafford, for which I apologise in advance. I'm so lazy that I can't be bothered to post guitars, but.... if I have a box this big (so to speak) we can discuss it. It'll cost yer though.

Now I'm not expecting to be bowled over in the rush with this one, 'cos I'm not sure if it's a forum guitar, so I may have to brave eBay, but thought I'd appeal to the punters of good taste on here first.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s rather pretty.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The great Jim Mullen is a big fan of these Arias. 

This one looks stunning, Dave! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks! I've got to be honest, I can't quite make it sound like that. My playing has been compared to Django's but only in as much as that it sounds like I also have several fingers that don't work.

I think that they're wonderful value for money - this one belonged to an old chap that was quite particular about looking after his guitars, and it shows. I should add that ideally, a wound G should be used, but I've ignored that completely and I can't really tell the difference. Part of my plan was to put a T-O-M type bridge on it and make it into something pretty special for a just a few hundred quid. Mind you, I wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger, and I haven't done anything about that either.

Call me Dave.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Beautiful guitar at a great price -glwts!
  • Dave, love your posts mate !
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I don't care what anyone else says.  :-)
    Call me Dave.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 538
    That’s a lovely looking guitar that is.  If I didn’t like guiness on my L5’s I’d be all over it.  Anyone thinking about trying some jazz should grab this - crazy price for the amount of guitar.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    =)  Remembering some of the pubs and clubs that I used to play in, other fluids are available.
    Call me Dave.
    edited November 2023
    I've had an offer from eBay for a bit more than I've got it listed for here, but would like to see it go to a member here if possible, so a quick bump

Edit: Just a bit about the neck, as I was asked this via PM. According to my Paddington Bear ruler, the nut is 43mm and it measures around 53mm at the twelfth fret. Shape is what I’d call a medium C, but maybe a D. I’m not too sure what the difference between C and D is, which is maybe why I was such a cunde at school. Had to be careful with that one. 
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 88
    edited November 2023
    @DB1 just curious if it got sold on eBay at the end? This seems to be an amazing guitar for the value! It sounds so lovely on the video with Jim Mullen playing.
    edited November 2023
    To be honest, Jim Mullen and I are completely different types of players. What I mean by that is that he's good and I'm not.

No, it's still here - it was a bit of an odd one really. I'd listed it for collection only but with an opportunity to have a chat about it. When I received the offer, it was for £360, and by the time I'd taken fees into account, it was a bit less than I'd listed it for on here, so it wasn't massively exciting, but not out of the question, as I could do with freeing up the space.

The offer came from a chap 140 miles away, with no conversation beforehand, so I rejected it politely and sent a message that explained that I'd rejected it mainly due to the distance as I didn't know what his plans were for collection and that I'd be happy to meet up somewhere if it helped. No reply.

I'm just waiting for the trade offers of a shoe, some grapes and a Batman costume. The last one might work, to be fair.

Call me Dave.
    Damn - I was about to offer a shoe and grapes too
    Damn, I'm so weak. PM me the details 
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A press weekend bump. I think that I'll trade it over the weekend unless anyone here wants it. I'm not sure that I'm up to dealing with eBay and Facebook punters any more!

Call me Dave.
    Well, I didn't get to trade it over the weekend, as I ended up being busy on guitar buying activities!

So a little bump in case anyone would like this absolute bargain of a guitar, and a bit more info .

Info first - it was put to me by a knowledgeable Facebooker (yes, I know) that this was more like a Super 400 than an L-5 due to it's sheer size. It's eighteen inches, and that's not a phrase that I get to type very often.

I've had a merry old week or so with eBay and Facebook punters. The guitar's marked for collection only, and the location on the ad is 'Stafford' (and I've helpfully mentioned that I'm in Stafford in the text, just to make sure that everyone knows that I'm, well, I'm in Stafford) and I've had offers so far from Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Slough and a request to post it to someone's cousin in India.

At least it hasn't been boring.

Call me Dave.
    edited December 2023
    £350 now includes postage!
    Call me Dave.
    edited December 2023
    Someone sane must want this absolute bargain of a jazzer.    =)   Anyone?

I did have an offer of a trade (not on here) so hideous that I couldn't bear to look at it, and several offers from people in far away places, but it's still here.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I can now offer postage on this big baby. I'm visiting James at The Guitar Showroom in E. Sussex this week, and he has boxes big enough to fit and is happy to post anywhere - and it would be insured. Oh, and he'll check it over to make sure that it's all OK and set up well.

Another advantage for any potential buyer, of course, is that you don't have to meet me. Mrs DB1 has confirmed that that's a really good selling point.  Bit nasty that, but more than fair.
    Call me Dave.
    If you fancy a coffee (not Guiness!) on the way to see James - I’m just inside M25 nr Bromley.  
    Very kind Joe - but I'm either heading down the M23 coming anti clockwise, or heading down to Cheltenham first, then Newbury to visit the Dogs Trust there and then down and across to E. Sussex.  I probably won't get there until 4pm with a lovely 4 hour drive back later in the evening!
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom