Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I have discovered ... The Doobie brothers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited September 2023
    I delved into their albums a while back and settled on Toulouse, Captain and Black Water from the following album for my playlist. Wonderful stuff in the right mood. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    There was a Doobie’s documentary floating around on Sky Arts a while back, definitely worth a watch if you can find it. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    boogieman said:
    There was a Doobie’s documentary floating around on Sky Arts a while back, definitely worth a watch if you can find it. 
    Ta, I'll try and find it!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    Ta, I'll try and find it!

yes that was excellent - about 2 hours long and well worth watching 
  • I am not sure you can spend a pound any better than you have there really........it's well worth rolling the dice on some cd's that are maybe a little out of your wheel house for that price. Plus in charity bins you really never know what you're going to find.

You should put a few of your own CDs in the charity bin @axisus - maybe a few left field ones - spread the good word 

I wonder if there has ever been like a curated cd/music service - you know you share your preferences and maybe pay a monthly subscription in exchange for which you get sent/downloaded curated albums and a playlist - you indicate which tracks on the playlist you like and the next batch of CD's follow on from those choices......
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    edited November 2023
    Whitecat said:
    Love me some Doobies! Saw them like almost 25 years ago and then again a few years ago at the Bluesfest thing with Steely Dan. Both times super tight and super into it.

Sad to say I've never seen them with Michael McDonald but I'd sure love to as I loved that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0B6nxPfcCM
    Narrator: be careful what you wish for. 

Just got back from the States where I had booked to see Steely Dan open for the Eagles. 

Sadly, Donald Fagen’s been ill and the Dan have pulled out of the leg of the tour that just finished for the year in Minnesota. 

The Doobies filled in instead - but with Michael McDonald still in the lineup!

(Also sadly, Tom Johnston of the Doobies is currently out - recuperating from back surgery - Pat and their bassist whose name eludes me right now are swapping some extra vocal duties where he used to do the work). 

Anyway - Michael absolutely *smashed* it. His voice is still scarily virtually perfect. The man can play keys like a monster too. 

They played for about an hour before the Eagles set - all hits, with heavy focus on the Michael “era” obviously. An extended jazzy intro jam with some alto sax on top of some sweet Rhodes riffing then launching into a note-perfect ‘Takin’ It To The Streets’ was possibly the highlight of the entire night for me. 

Anyway it was obviously a boomer fest and as a young Gen X I was one of the younger gents in the arena for sure but despite my sadness at not seeing Steely Dan, Michael M made it nearly all better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    @Whitecat Sounds like a good gig! Too bad that Tom J wasn't there, I much prefer the more rocking year with him as the main man (still a great band with Michael as well though)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    axisus said:
    @Whitecat Sounds like a good gig! Too bad that Tom J wasn't there, I much prefer the more rocking year with him as the main man (still a great band with Michael as well though)
    Having seen the Doobies twice before with Tom but no Michael, I felt like Michael added more than Tom's loss subtracted, but of course that was dependant on them playing probably more Michael songs than they might have otherwise!

HEY UNIVERSE CAN I PLEASE SEE THEM SOMETIME SOON WITH BOTH OF THEM IN THE BAND? :D
  • Michael McDonalds ace