Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Home players with a few amps: heads or combos?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 774
I’ve got 3 combo amps and 1 head and now got gas to add to the collection. 

Trouble is, space is an issue. 

Those of you who have got a few amps what’s your preference? Multiple heads with one or two cabs? Or is it too much hassle and easier to have combos? What are the pros and cons?

Pics of your setup?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited December 2023
    I prefer combos and I don’t really know why, having grown up on bands who used stacks.

I have a head and cab and a 1x12 combo at the mo. 

I was all-in on combos last year but the tube rattle got to me, plus as a lot of places have backline cabs it makes sense to have a head available…
  • Three combos here, but I gig two of them. At home, strictly a Tweed Princeton clone in a Tweed Deluxe-sized cabinet.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 500
    4 combos 3 heads 2 cabs.  No preference.  Not much space either… oh well 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A few heads and a few cabs here. I play out and rehearse regularly and combos are just a massive pain to move around, not to mention the fact you can use cabs at shared gigs/rehearsal rooms etc. 

Bear in mind I like a 2x12 at least which always weighs a ton in combo format, might not be such an issue for a 1x12.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 346
    7 heads 3 cabs here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Three Heads
    Two Rock CRS 50
    Friedman BE100
    Selmer TnB 50

Four Cabs
    PRS Stealth 2x12
    Marshall Stereo 2x12
    Zilla 1x12 
    Custom 1x12

Got to have proper amps and decent cabs, if you can plug straight in and feel inspired then it’s worth it 
    1. Nu>X Mighty Space
    2. Laney Linebacker 50w combo
    3. Victory V40 Deluxe head and 2x12 Zilla cab

I live out of the way in a detached cottage, so I don't have to worry about neighbours, so tend to use #3 a lot.  If I'm writing or short on time, I tend to use #1.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    3 "combos"

Main valve amp,  with a few pedals and shit - in main "office/music room"
    little Blackstar Silverline for "plug and play"  in bedroom (in case Mrs bert using offce room)
    THR-C for outdoor shenanigans 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • 2 marshall combos, Mesa combo, Mesa stack Laney combo, 3 amps I made myself, two as heads / cabs and one as a combo. Bass combo and a Trace Elliott head/cab.   The Mesa combo is just too heavy for me to regularly gig as a combo, so my choice today would tend to more heads and cabs,

The amps I made also share a common chasis size and I do swap them between the combo and head shell sometimes.

That said, i generally use IR cab files to fine tune recordings now, so I don’t need to mix and match much now, if at all.  Game changer.
  • I had 10 heads a one cab with a switcher for them all. 

Now down to just 4 heads 
  • AC50 and a 100w Selmer TnB heads.
    Orange 4x12 cab and a Marshall jcm800 2x12 cab.

Combo’s…
    Hook R20(for sale)
    AC30S1
    AC10
    Wienbrock Gringo
    Dr.Z Maz 18
    Tweedy-Luxe 5e3
    Boss Katana 50w
    THR10

The Katana stays at work, the Orange 4x12 stays in the Transit, the rest scattered about my place. Gotta clear some really as I’m running out of space…but they all sound magnificent.

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • One room, two combos, many neighbours.
  • 2 heads (down from 3). 2 cabs - 2x12 and 4x12. Heads every time so much flexibility.

Cabs not used/kept at home - that is what a decent load box and impulse response is for!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    Only ever owned combos. They work for me, but agree they can be on the heavy side.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Fiio DAC/pre-amp feeding into a Fender Mustang LT25 for everyday playing to backing music.

Orange micro terror/Mooer GE200 into a 25W Orange speaker for when I have plenty of time to explore new noises.

Vox MV50 rock into Harley Benton G112 Celestion cab for when Mrs F is out and there are no neighbours to complain.

Nux Mighty Air for downstairs sofa noodling and for when at our caravan.

My old 30W HH cab is now boxed up and residing in the loft because I have no space in the spare bedroom.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2621
    tFB Trader
    in my playing room I have 17 heads, 7 cabs, 3 combo's, 3 load boxes.

Some amps the combo cab shape/size is very much apart of the sound, so that is something to be aware of.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 774
    Thanks all. I'm currently fighting the idea of buying another amp. It's a struggle, but I take one day at a time.

At least some people have several combo amps so I wouldn't be a complete loony. Although I don't play out - so that's a bit bad.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    Three combos here: Marshall DSL20, Vox AC15 and a farty micro cube :lol: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Mostly combos, 2 Marshall DSL's and a Peavey head that's far too loud with my Orange 4x12 but its in storage in the garage so hardly gets played.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    2 heads and currently cabless - run the heads through a Two Notes Torpedo Live into speakers when I want to play the amps. Bit of a faff though as I can't leave it set up permanently, so it'd probably be easier if I either got a cab or went ampless for a bit.
    Tim