SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Yngwie strat RW board

What's Hot
CatthanCatthan Frets: 380
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
hit me up.. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• you had to add rosewood! I'm in the process of selling the collection of a deceased friend and that includes a USA YJM - with maple board of course  :s
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 380
    @jasonbone75 ;

ahh man,, do send me some deets, you never know.. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3578
    you had to add rosewood! I'm in the process of selling the collection of a deceased friend and that includes a USA YJM - with maple board of course  :s
    post it in the forum for the rest of us ;)
  • you had to add rosewood! I'm in the process of selling the collection of a deceased friend and that includes a USA YJM - with maple board of course  :s
    Would love to see that. Always fancied a YJM Strat. 
  • will do guys. it will be post Christmas though as the photos are not done yet. I've done the clean and polish so it needs strings and piccies.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4438
    edited December 2023
    will do guys. it will be post Christmas though as the photos are not done yet. I've done the clean and polish so it needs strings and piccies.
    Don't forget to string it .008 - .046 and tune to Eb

I got a US YJM (maple board) earlier in the year and it's easily my favourite guitar. The only reason I ever pick up anything else is because I need a Floyd or more frets.
  • that raises a valid question @Lewy ;

we have four people already in this thread talking about it so a straw poll is in order! My plan was to compromise and put 9s on it tuned to Eb as that seemed the best to accommodate both E standard and Eb players who might be interested.

Place your votes guys: @Catthan @Carlos @Jabba74 @Lewy ;

Anyone else feel free to vote and Catthan gets free bumps on his request thread lol!
    009 042 on Eb I think 
    008 046 on Eb is too specific to YJM and his quirks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Apparently this is how the man himself has it (tales of 3 mm action are clearly apocryphal…). From someone who reportedly worked on his guitars. Personally that’s how I’d set it:

Strings:
    8-46 guage

To adjust guitar you should have a small ruler and a capo (to clamp 1st fret).

1) With no Capo installed, tune guitar to playing pitch and adjust springs (3 of them) so back of tremolo is 1/8" off body.

2) Now install Capo at 1st fret.

3) Adjust string height so the HEIGHT OF STRING ABOVE THE FRET AT THE 17th FRET is 1/16" (4/64") for the High e string, b string, g string.
    d string should be just barely over the 1/16" (by a smidge).
    The A and low E string must be slightly more than 1/16' (4/64") and can be as much as 2.0 mm (5/64").
    NOTE: 2.0 mm is just a bit more than 1/16"

4) Check Tuning

5) With Capo still at First fret, depress the last fret where neck meets body (around 19-20th fret)
    And with a feeler guage, measure either the A or D string gap between string and fret at the 8th fret position.
    There should be some slight relief (gap) of about 0.010 "Â
    NOTE: This is about the thickness of a Fender Thin guitar pick or Deluxe Business Card.

Many guitars have a rattle and buzz problem because of no relief.
    You will quickly see this problem if when you do this test, the strings are literally touching the fret at fret# 8 during this test.

If needed, adjust truss rod to get that 0.010" relief.

6) Check Tuning

7) Now with all the above settings correct and the capo removed and no strings being pressed down.
    Lay the guitar down on it's back.
    Measure string height at the 12 fret.
    The top 4 strings should be 1/16" and the A and low E should be between 1/16" and 2.0 mm.

8) If everything was done right, this guitar should be now set up to the same specs Yngwie plays with.
    Thru an amp you will hear no fret rattle or buzz.
    When playing unplugged, only a hard picking should cause a small but acceptable amount of fret noise in the middle 4th-11th fret region of the neck due to string vibration

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    Apparently this is how the man himself has it (tales of 3 mm action are clearly apocryphal…). From someone who reportedly worked on his guitars. Personally that’s how I’d set it:

Strings:
    8-46 guage

To adjust guitar you should have a small ruler and a capo (to clamp 1st fret).

1) With no Capo installed, tune guitar to playing pitch and adjust springs (3 of them) so back of tremolo is 1/8" off body.

2) Now install Capo at 1st fret.

3) Adjust string height so the HEIGHT OF STRING ABOVE THE FRET AT THE 17th FRET is 1/16" (4/64") for the High e string, b string, g string.
    d string should be just barely over the 1/16" (by a smidge).
    The A and low E string must be slightly more than 1/16' (4/64") and can be as much as 2.0 mm (5/64").
    NOTE: 2.0 mm is just a bit more than 1/16"

4) Check Tuning

5) With Capo still at First fret, depress the last fret where neck meets body (around 19-20th fret)
    And with a feeler guage, measure either the A or D string gap between string and fret at the 8th fret position.
    There should be some slight relief (gap) of about 0.010 "Â
    NOTE: This is about the thickness of a Fender Thin guitar pick or Deluxe Business Card.

Many guitars have a rattle and buzz problem because of no relief.
    You will quickly see this problem if when you do this test, the strings are literally touching the fret at fret# 8 during this test.

If needed, adjust truss rod to get that 0.010" relief.

6) Check Tuning

7) Now with all the above settings correct and the capo removed and no strings being pressed down.
    Lay the guitar down on it's back.
    Measure string height at the 12 fret.
    The top 4 strings should be 1/16" and the A and low E should be between 1/16" and 2.0 mm.

8) If everything was done right, this guitar should be now set up to the same specs Yngwie plays with.
    Thru an amp you will hear no fret rattle or buzz.
    When playing unplugged, only a hard picking should cause a small but acceptable amount of fret noise in the middle 4th-11th fret region of the neck due to string vibration

That setup suits Mr Malmsteen but I'd hate it hahah
    Fender ships them with 9-42 for what it’s worth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom