SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Vintage Gibson/Fender guitar

What's Hot
Anyone got a great vintage Gibson or Fender they’re willing to part with? Having sold a few bits I’m on the hunt! Thanks  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul111spaul111s Frets: 125
    I’ve not got anything for sale but it might be worth putting what your idea of vintage is @jimmyguitar? I’ve just sold a 71 telecaster I called vintage others told me they didn’t consider that vintage.. just trying to help.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10590
    paul111s said:
    I’ve not got anything for sale but it might be worth putting what your idea of vintage is @jimmyguitar? I’ve just sold a 71 telecaster I called vintage others told me they didn’t consider that vintage.. just trying to help.
    Of course it's vintage. 
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 50
    edited January 4
    Sadly, the meaning of words can easily cause conflict - just try following a cycling forum discussion about "fat burning" where there are two utterly different things being discussed under the same term (lipid metabolism during endurance exercise Vs general weight loss)

Alas, there's more than one meaning of "vintage" in play
    A simple question of age - "X" years
    A subjective identification of "the good old days"
    A time before an objective change
    And for Fender and Gibson specifically, that means "before the accountants took over" e.g. pre-CBS

Is my old Subaru vintage? In years, yes...but with low profile radials, power steering, disc brakes, electronic fuel injection...not really IMO. To me that means crossplies and carburetors.

At the point people started talking about Vintage Fenders, all the meanings co-incided. 

But....mid/late 66 is a fixed cutoff for the CBS changes. 
    A 71 tele is well into the CBS era so not vintage under the original guitar specific definition.

Which is annoying, because my birth year is mid CBS, but it is what it is. It might explain my knees, though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
    I still miss that ‘65 Strat you sold me, hope you can find something as good as that.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1380
    thebreeze said:
    I still miss that ‘65 Strat you sold me, hope you can find something as good as that.
    I’m looking at that Strat right now, having just put it down. rest assured it is not suffering from neglect, Steve

Jimmy did you sell that lovely 62 Strat you got from Gary Winterflood?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Might a 1972 SG Special be of interest?

• edited January 5
    Although frequently hijacked as a marketing term to sell any old crap, the word vintage in relation to old items of note, does have a fairly widely accepted definition among dealers of such things, and that definition is: Something of note which is older than 40 years, but not older than 100 years; the centenary year being the point where it becomes antique, rather than vintage.

That said, if we take that definition literally, it could be used to mean that any old guitar made prior to 1984 would be a vintage item, and clearly a guitar which only ticks that basic chronology box by dint of being made prior to a certain year, is not what everyone would regard as a vintage guitar in terms of desirability. This is why in the broader sense amongst dealers, such aged items are typically only referred to as vintage if they are particularly evocative of an era, significant in terms of design or features, or desirable for some other reason, such as rarity or condition.

It is also why you see some other terms being bandied about to make old stuff which people are trying to sell, seem better than it actually is. A classic example of that is when people try to sell crappy old Les Paul copies on Ebay for several hundred quid by describing them as 'lawsuit era' guitars, when in fact there never was any law suit in regard to them, or any other similar guitar for that matter, but they hope by citing this widely believed fictitious legal myth, that it will convey the idea some cack plywood monstrosity was somehow so good that Fender and Gibson felt compelled to resort to legal action in order to destroy such a damaging threat to their sales, when that of course never happened at all.

So yeah, a 70s Fender Telecaster or Gibson SG etc, is certainly vintage, whereas a 70s Kay LP copy is more than likely just a crappy old guitar, but a Kay Effector LP copy, by being unusual and fairly rare in decent woking order, could be considered a vintage item..
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
    GuyR said:
    thebreeze said:
    I’m looking at that Strat right now, having just put it down. rest assured it is not suffering from neglect, Steve

Jimmy did you sell that lovely 62 Strat you got from Gary Winterflood?
    I’m glad you still got it Guy, in good hands obviously!
  • GchipGchip Frets: 15
    Have DMd you. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    I miss the 58 LP junior that I sold you. And the 67 tele that you sold me....what a twit i am.