Deluxe / Princeton / TM questions

What's Hot
LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 158
I’ve put my back out a couple of times in the last 6 months (currently recovering). Yes, I should be doing daily exercises and getting fit, but I’ve also realised that hauling big amps about is not for me. Therefore I think some kind of pedal-based amp solution would be better (with a small light cab) or a Fender Tone Master. 

The two things I’ve realised I like quite a lot are 10 inch speakers, and clean headroom. 

The TMPR would be ideal other than the lack of headroom. I think the TMDR would be perfect headroom-wise, but has a 12 inch speaker. 

First question is - would it be possible to put a 10 inch speaker in a TMDR or would that effectively knock its efficiency down to a TMPR?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    You’d need a new baffle to put a 10 in, on which note I believe a member here is selling a 2x10 replacement deluxe reverb baffle 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 782
    Alex2678 said:
    You’d need a new baffle to put a 10 in, on which note I believe a member here is selling a 2x10 replacement deluxe reverb baffle 
    Was going to suggest just this. I didn't like gigging with 1x10, but two...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 158
    Alex2678 said:
    Why didn’t you like gigging with a 1x10? Thanks 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    edited January 5
    FWIW though the TMPR is still hella loud when up full - they're 12W vs 22W (modelled) but not dramatically different in terms of perceived volume 

But yeah, no reason you can't do that swap in a TMDR with a different baffle. If you get a 10" speaker with similar db rating I think it'd very almost identical in volume. The N-12K in the TMDR is 97.2db; put in something like an Eminence Copperhead at 100db and it'll be louder if anything.

Equally, a similar speaker swap is also an option with the TMPR as well - the stock C10R is only 93.6db. 

(I've actually really enjoyed 1x10s for gigging in the past, provided they're micced up. They don't sound the same as 1x12s but can sit really nicely in a mix if you have other instruments - esp keys - covering the same frequencies)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4748

You wouldn't need a new baffle, just a reducer ring.

The Eminence ragin cajun is a great little 10" speaker that's load, although you might add around 1kg over a neo 12".
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    I’ve put my back out a couple of times in the last 6 months (currently recovering). Yes, I should be doing daily exercises and getting fit, but I’ve also realised that hauling big amps about is not for me. Therefore I think some kind of pedal-based amp solution would be better (with a small light cab) or a Fender Tone Master. 

The two things I’ve realised I like quite a lot are 10 inch speakers, and clean headroom. 

The TMPR would be ideal other than the lack of headroom. I think the TMDR would be perfect headroom-wise, but has a 12 inch speaker. 

First question is - would it be possible to put a 10 inch speaker in a TMDR or would that effectively knock its efficiency down to a TMPR?

That says Tone Master Super Reverb to me. Room filling rich and sparkling cleans with incredible depth to the sound. 

People will rightly say that the TM doesn’t quite nail the sound of a 60s Super really cooking. I’d wager the cleans are better though and who actually gets to crank a 4x10 40 something watt amp these days.  
  • PALPAL Frets: 561
    Yes you can buy 12 inch to 10 inch baffle converters....   https://www.mojotone.com/Baffle-Converter-for-12-to-10-black
       hope this helpps.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Well there you go. Very cool 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 782
    Alex2678 said:
    Why didn’t you like gigging with a 1x10? Thanks 
    Directional and lacking bass - two of them sound very full and spread the sound out nicely. One of them sounds like a practice amp (experience from a 68 Princeton ri)
    Thanks for all the great info. It seems like there are plenty of options...

I might go with a TMDR as it’s ideal form factor, and it sounds as if I have the option of going 2x10 for the more focused tone I like.

it looks like one can get a second hand TMDR for around 500 now, which seems like a bargain to me
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:

That says Tone Master Super Reverb to me. Room filling rich and sparkling cleans with incredible depth to the sound. 

People will rightly say that the TM doesn’t quite nail the sound of a 60s Super really cooking. I’d wager the cleans are better though and who actually gets to crank a 4x10 40 something watt amp these days.  
    I’m not an SRV fan at all, but I’ve almost always found the Super Reverb models the best on any modellers I’ve tried. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Just one thing to be aware of - if you go DR and 2x10 speakers you'll lose a chunk of the weight benefit of the Tonemaster version as you can't get 10" Neo speakers yet. I haven't done the maths but I assume an extra 3kg or so
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9714
    Wny not stick to the 1x12 ? 

Sounds great, ultra light.
  • Do you play un-mic'd at your gigs? If not, then I don't see why a single TM Princeton using the really excellent XLR out to the PA wouldn't be an ideal option. That's exactly how I use mine.

As @stickyfiddle says, the TMPR is still actually pretty damn loud for its size, with the PA providing a bit more spread of the sound. 
    Do you play un-mic'd at your gigs? If not, then I don't see why a single TM Princeton using the really excellent XLR out to the PA wouldn't be an ideal option. That's exactly how I use mine.

As @stickyfiddle says, the TMPR is still actually pretty damn loud for its size, with the PA providing a bit more spread of the sound. 
    Thanks, I suspect you’re right. I think either the TMDR or TMPR would do me fine…and yes, I want to keep the weight down. I’ve psyched myself up to spend the money now. Going to London today so gonna pop into Soho. Won’t buy one new though.
    I managed to try a Tone Master Twin…sounded/felt a bit ‘meh’ tbh. I felt the treble was too woolly on 4 and too aggressive on 5. Also, the reverb was a bit too resonant for my tastes. What I did love was the overdrive when you crank the volume to 10 - that’s a sound I’ve not yet heard in a pedal. 

It didn’t feel particularly valvey to me. I’m guessing the Deluxe and Princeton will have a different quality - perhaps less aggressive treble?

Also, I can see why the Deluxe attenuator settings would be much more useful on the DR and PR - 0.2W is quiet and 5 watts is LOUD!

edited January 8
    Maybe I’m too used to my Hot Rod Deluxe - I’m wondering if all class D solutions will have that aggressive transient quality? Maybe it’s just a twin thing? My old twin was a Paul Rivera model that didn’t exactly represent the typical ‘65 sound.
  • All depends what you’re going for. I’m a fully paid up member of the TMDR club, suits me for parking myself at around 7 volume then using the guitar to go from not quite clean up to classic rock solo. Maybe using an overdrive to squeeze a little more. The 0.5w is plenty at home in daytime hours and gives a proper amp experience. Obviously can just click it up to where suits a room for gigging. I also find the XLR out is very representative of what’s coming out the front so it can scale with a PA.

It behaves like a valve amp to me. Whether it behaves like a 60s DR, a boutique example, or one of the DRRIs isn’t really a concern for me. It sounds good so I’m happy.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4764
    Aggressive treble?  Try turning the attenuator up, or down, and playing with more volume and less treble, or vice-versa.  
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    edited January 9
    Maybe I’m too used to my Hot Rod Deluxe - I’m wondering if all class D solutions will have that aggressive transient quality? Maybe it’s just a twin thing? My old twin was a Paul Rivera model that didn’t exactly represent the typical ‘65 sound.
    A friend of mine, older good player  sold his Hot Rod and brought a Tonemaster. He hated it, took it back and brought a Katana Artist. He didn't like the EQ so brought it to me for firmware update and EQ tweak. Personally I thought it needed an act of god rather than an EQ tweak ...

You won't really get any class D modelling amp that "feels" like a real amp. At least in my experience. You can certainly get one that will fool an audience but that's not the same thing. That's not to say they are unusable, they certainly are but it's never going to be the same. Using a nice mild drive pedal can help to a certain extent. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk