Removing 70s /80s poly without removing any original wood

What's Hot
Hi folks
I have a guitar that has some refin from 70s/ 80s and i want to remove the poly and refin in nitro. Whats the best way to remove it . I dont want to remove any of the wood 
if its chemical stripper what is the best one/ method ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    I used a hot air gun and scraper to take the poly off my Baja Telecaster. Was surprisingly easy, think I'd got most of it off in half an hour
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 121
    Thats Helpful, thanks mate 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    I removed the finish on a late 70s Musicmaster using Superdrugs extra strong nail varnish remover and a microfiber cloth, took a couple hours to rub it all off , that was after attacking it with a heat Gun which did sod all....  
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
    I removed the finish on a late 70s Musicmaster using Superdrugs extra strong nail varnish remover and a microfiber cloth, took a couple hours to rub it all off , that was after attacking it with a heat Gun which did sod all....  
    You'll have been left with the sealer coat then, or was it a refinish? 
    JD50 said:

Correct, still have sealer coat
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
    The sealer coat is where the fun starts :D
  • ALRALR Frets: 170
    I refinished a 1997 Squier YN Series Strat last year and had to remove all the poly. As described above, I removed the majority of it with a heat gun, but eventually used a Random Orbital Sander and some sandpaper up to (I think) 320 grit to get every last trace of the old finish off (except for cavities). It's a little more work but I think the results are worth it.

There's a 3 part Stewmac series about refinishing with aerosols which I followed pretty much to the letter. It took a long time and was a lot of work, but the results were definitely worth it!
    mhep mhep mhep!
    JD50 said:
    The sealer coat is where the fun starts :D
    The sealer coat is clear, so guess you can spray over the top