P90 Gold Top - options? Now with added NGD

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1466
    Eastman SB56 looks like a decent buy at around £1600 new (street price).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    I’d starve for a month and get this.  You never know you might be able to cut a deal around the top end of your budget?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/261714/fs-2018-gibson-les-paul-classic-goldtop-54-conversion#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 725
    thebreeze said:
    I’d starve for a month and get this.  You never know you might be able to cut a deal around the top end of your budget?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/261714/fs-2018-gibson-les-paul-classic-goldtop-54-conversion#latest

I'm sure the seller would throw in a tin of baked beans with the deal ;) 465 beans in a tin of beans. Thats 15 beans a day over a month. I'm sure one can survive on that....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4801

£1122.20 delivered to your door...or

for £1764.52 delivered.

Looks are spot on, as is quality.  Why pay another £1000 or so for a different name

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 16
    Nice Burny for £550 and another for £475, on fleabay, but the second one has 'buckers, so you'd be swapping those out.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2044
    So an update. The GAS rather spiralled out of control, as it is apt to do. I came perilously close to acquiring the 54 conversion from @TDubs but ended up going the eBay route and picking up this (as far as I could tell the only one for sale in this country and just 20 miles from me, collection only):

It's a well used (a few dings, which I have no problems with) '99 McCarty Soapbar. Needs new strings and a wash and brush up. Possibly a tweak to the action to get it to my liking but it sounds lovely. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12741
    Harley Benton and change the pickups - duh!!! ;)

I want one of those cheap Fazley ones @Musical_Mystery_Tour was on about - still impressed dude?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8176
    McToot said:
    So an update. The GAS rather spiralled out of control, as it is apt to do. I came perilously close to acquiring the 54 conversion from @TDubs but ended up going the eBay route and picking up this (as far as I could tell the only one for sale in this country and just 20 miles from me, collection only):

It's a well used (a few dings, which I have no problems with) '99 McCarty Soapbar. Needs new strings and a wash and brush up. Possibly a tweak to the action to get it to my liking but it sounds lovely. 

Congrats. That sure is a looker :)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5977
    Those are brilliant, nice score and I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1218
    The McCarty soapbar in that spec (gold top, moons) is the only PRS I'd be interested in these days.
    I really like the original McCarty design as an articulate and ergonomic take on a vintage LP. The wide/fat neck profile (it's actually not that wide, or fat) is fantastic and I'd get that profile if I ever got a custom build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Harley Benton and change the pickups - duh!!! ;)

I want one of those cheap Fazley ones @Musical_Mystery_Tour was on about - still impressed dude?
    Yes, very impressed, so glad I bought it. Coincidentally...

I was just playing it about half an hour ago, faffing around with my pedal board to see what I could do to get some interesting or unusual sounds out of it (as you do with new toys), which turned out to be, the pickup selector on Rhythm, a very slight bit of harmoniser (almost like a doubler), a bit of gain and treble from my cheap Klon pedal, some compression, a dab of reverb and a slight bit of tweaking on EQ.

Then I kept those settings on the pedals and plugged in a couple of Les Pauls (a Gibson and an Epiphone) to see what they sounded like with those; it didn't suit those humbucker Les Pauls at all. But those settings made the Midas sound really cool, and to be fair it already sounded good without much in the way of effects at all, so it definitely does its own thing. I suspect I'm going to be playing it a lot. Best 126 quid I've spent in years. At some point I'm gonna try my Jazzmaster and my Jaguar on those same pedal settings to see if it suits them given that the JM has P90s and the Jag has regular single coils, but I doubt they'll sound as good as that Fazley did.

I've not been that impressed with such an inexpensive guitar for a very long time, although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, because the same was true when I bought a Fazley DFC418, which is their (now discontinued) LP double cutaway Junior-type guitar, that thing was pretty cool as well, however, since it only had one P90, which to be fair was okay, I did nevertheless swap it out for a Warman Dogs of War P90 to make it a bit hotter.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3705
    McToot said:

Thats lovely, I think its leftfield styling without being over the edge , while still hinting at traditional, really lovely, HNGD.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3350
    The only PRs I regularly loiter over is the gold top, soapbar McCarty. They look fantastic.