How long do you leave a bodge?

What's Hot
Boot door lock on the Yeti playing up, micro switch showing it’s age. I did a disassembly figured out what the issue was fixed it with a neat gaffa tape job and ordered the £12 switch to replace old one.
Thing is to put new switch in you have to disassemble the boot door and the repair is working brilliantly .
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19792
    Will you be inconvenienced by leaving the bodge in place until it fails?
    Leave it as long as you can  ;)  :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967

If I'd fixed it like that I'd never bother to buy the new part.

If there was a safety issue I'd get something fixed but apart from that it wouldn't bother me.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 72
    The door handle on our washing machine broke, I replaced it with a screwdriver- it was genius. 

It was in place for about 3 years - until the washing machine did give up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 349
    Read that title as "How long do you leave bondage?"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    I have exactly the same dilemma on MrsICBM’s Suzuki. I wouldn’t call it a bodge, but it’s only a matter of time before corrosion gets in again. I did consider epoxy’ing the switch casing to make it totally airtight and stop it corroding again, but that also removes the possibility of fixing it again if it does...

I haven’t ordered a new switch yet either. I probably should.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1278
    What bodge? You've described a fix as far as I can see!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3718
    Everything on my car is a bodge, literally everything.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
    If you've found a knack then I'd leave it until your next MOT. I replaced the lock on my car, but the garage still charged me £60 for the diagnostics side.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    I think it's a toss up between how long the thing being fixed with a bodge is going to last before IT needs replaced and how long the proper spare part is still likely to be available to buy.  I've put off fixing things properly before, while occasionally thinking about buying the proper part, but by that time the part was nowhere in stock anywhere so I was stuck with the bodge.  Some spare parts are such a ridiculous price for what they are that I might well just refuse to pay and instead figure out how to make the bodge more permanent and "professional".
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2967
    edited April 14
    Had a temperamental bonnet latch on my Golf for the last couple years of ownership. I could open the catch fully with a screwdriver so I just kept one in the glove box. Sometimes it wouldn't stay shut but a good soaking of GT85 and some wiggling with the screwdriver would be enough to free up the mechanism again, or if that failed then I also kept a tie down strap to hold it securely. Probably should have got it fixed properly but the car had 150k+ miles on it with new creaks and noises developing regularly! I think the part was £100 and the whole front needed taking off to get to the latch bolts so I never got round to it
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    Until you start calling it a modification?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967

It's not a bodge, it's personalised.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    Day1:  Quick fix to keep the thing working.
    Day2:  Cheap bodge to keep the thing working.
    Day3:  Inventive fix that keeps the thing working.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3718
    You know that bodge with the tights? It got me home not long ago. It was a great bodge although I did put a new fan belt on the next day.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4078
    Fridge door handle broke.  Bodged it with paracord -- albeit using some classy knots.  Lasted the fridge out, I'm guessing nearly two decades.  I was quite fond of that handle! 

• horsehorse Frets: 1603
    We've lived where we are since 2006. One of the internal doors was missing a handle on one side, and we still closed it by pulling on a shoe lace tied to the handle on the other side!

I guess I'd sort it out if it occured to me at the right time, but I never even think about it any more.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    I tied my exhaust back on with a spare USB cable that happened to be in the car.

It survived a few hundred miles until I got around to replacing the bracket

My first car had a jackplate acting as a washer to hold the wing mirror on, and cloth pickup tape soaked in superlgue as a repair to the wiper arm.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    It depends if the bodge has any longevity and whether that part will cause a chain reaction when it fails.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372
    This happens at work all the time! 

At first they call it a "containment".  And then the problem is forgotten, until it comes back to bite someone in the arse with a vengeance.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    I'd leave it bodged, till it unbodges....