NGD - Doozy content

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
Duesenberg Pomona! I've tried a few Duesenbergs, including a couple owned at various times by @dazzajl, but they never seemed to sound or play how I wanted or expected. This, however, is another box of frogs altogether.

I remember seeing this model reviewed in Guitarist when it came out and thinking 'ooh', but funds and availability of one to try had never coincided until last Sunday at Bristol Guitar Show. Big Deal Music actually had two, a Pomona and an Alamo. The main difference is the pickups - I tried both and couldn't hear a huge difference through the headphones provided, so I went with what I thought would be a safer option for live use, i.e. humbuckers.

Having acquired the beast (the price was right!) I now have to learn to play it, and that means some decisions.
  1. It came tuned to open D but I've gone for open E - more tension in the bottom string, and half the notes are in the same place as on a guitar in regular tuning. I'd quite like to try 'D over G' at some point though (G-B-D-F#-A-D low to high).
  2. I have a long Moonshine ceramic slide that works quite well for now, but I've ordered a Dunlop 920 bullet-shaped tone bar.
  3. For picking I've settled on a plectrum and a couple of fingers, as I often use hybrid picking anyway. I've never got on with bare fingers, and thumb- and finger-picks just feel too clunky.
I worked my way through some beginner lap steel vids on YouTube last night and came across the technique of angling the bar. I was kind of aware of this anyway, but that got me playing licks in 6ths. I treated Mrs Keefy to an intonationally-challenged rendition of 'You Are My Sunshine' using that approach. Using a volume pedal and the palm levers it's possible to get close to the sound of a pedal steel.

My plan is to to concentrate on the basics before inflicting the sound of feline torture on a nearby open mic...

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    edited April 16
    Nice. I have that palm bender bridge on a standard guitar which lives in Open D and it’s brilliant. B lever raises a tone, G lever raises a semi tone which means from a straight bar across, the levers give you the the IV, and if you slide two frets up and use the levers, you’ve just played a II V progression, and once you know that, you’re off to the races, finding different places to play chords, swooping up to a fret and then adding the bars when you get there. 

I tend to think of bar slants as more of a Hawaiian thing, I don’t think pedal steel or the more western lap steel players use them that much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    That really does look like many bags of fun and cool as a deeply cooled bag of cool things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
    Lewy said:
    Nice. I have that palm bender bridge on a standard guitar which lives in Open D and it’s brilliant. B lever raises a tone, G lever raises a semi tone which means from a straight bar across, the levers give you the the IV, and if you slide two frets up and use the levers, you’ve just played a II V progression, and once you know that, you’re off to the races, finding different places to play chords, swooping up to a fret and then adding the bars when you get there. 

I tend to think of bar slants as more of a Hawaiian thing, I don’t think pedal steel or the more western lap steel players use them that much. 
    Cheers! I'm happy to use any technique if I can make it work for me ;)
  • Woah, I'm crazy jealous, really want a Duesenberg lap steel and I think these yellow ones look the coolest. Intrigued to know how much it cost you, and what they were asking for the Alamo?
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 724
    edited April 16
    By the way, Luke Cyrus Goetze posted his preferences on Facebook the other day and he tunes his Fairytale G-B-D-F#-A-D

Amazing player!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8062
    Damn! I always wanted one of these but could never justify the price considering how often I'd play it. Cool bit of engineering.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
    edited April 16
    By the way, Luke Cyrus Goetze posted his preferences on Facebook the other day and he tunes his Fairytale G-B-D-F#-A-D

Amazing player!

Yes, he’s one of the players who have come up on my lap steel radar.

PM’d re price ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    I saw you walking out with that case - Have fun as I'm sure it's a challenge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:

Amazing player!

Yes, he’s one of the players who have come up on my lap steel radar.

PM’d re price ;)
    Thanks  :)