Gibbo Les Pauls?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
So , lets say I wanted one, but something specific, a plain top in tobacco burst, but I dont do slim necks, so a 50's type fat neck, and lets say I wanted something old but still affordable, so 80's era perhaps, and lets say p90's are nice, is there such a guitar?

And whats the deal with Delux models from that era? In fact, were the 80's era LP's decent or pants?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 949
    There are LP Standard P90s for most years, but the vast majority will be gold top.

If you want tobacco burst, the current 50s Standard P90 comes in that finish…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3466
    Didn't the Tribute models - and I think it was the 60's tribute that had the P90s and the 50's tribute had the humbuckers, come in red/cherry, ebony/back, and sunburst for the one that came with P90s?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    I'm not sure 80s era LPs are going to be any cheaper than used ones from the last few years TBH.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    tony99 said:
    I'm not sure 80s era LPs are going to be any cheaper than used ones from the last few years TBH.
    No, not cheaper, but I was thinking they arnt quite the same cost as a more vintage guitar so perhaps an investment?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    robgilmo said:
    tony99 said:
    No, not cheaper, but I was thinking they arnt quite the same cost as a more vintage guitar so perhaps an investment?

Depends what you pay of course but I wouldn't think so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Rob yes.
    The current Standard 50s offers this exact guitar. I have one, P90 clad. It's a roaring machine and in Tob Burst.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Here ya go

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    Should you not be able to find a P90 model, I'd just put some Duncan Phat Cats in or the like - I had some and thought they were great (less hum too).
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 183
    You could go for a late 70s early 80s Deluxe and take out the mini humbuckers and drop a set of p90s straight in.  I’d imagine if you look around you could get one for under 3k, but as others have suggested the current standard in tobacco burst with P90s will be a fine option for a lot less wedge. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8104
    Gassage said:
    Here ya go

That looks fantastic
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    I don't think you'll see many P90 Gibsons from the 80s. The model range wasn't as varied as it's been in the last 20 years or so, and it took them long enough to reintroduce the Standard after a few years of pretty much only doing Deluxes and Customs.

The only guitar that you're likely to find that ticks all of those boxes is, as @Gassage has kindly shared his lovely one, the current 50s Standard P90. I suspect that'll be cheaper than an 80s one as well, even brand new.
    Tim
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited May 27
    robgilmo said:
    tony99 said:
    Is there really much point looking for guitars as "investments"?  It's not as if selling one is going to provide for you in old age.

(Sorry, that sounds more snarky than I intended - but it's so much easier to just get a new one and enjoy it.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:
    I don't think you'll see many P90 Gibsons from the 80s. The model range wasn't as varied as it's been in the last 20 years or so, and it took them long enough to reintroduce the Standard after a few years of pretty much only doing Deluxes and Customs.

The only guitar that you're likely to find that ticks all of those boxes is, as @Gassage has kindly shared his lovely one, the current 50s Standard P90. I suspect that'll be cheaper than an 80s one as well, even brand new.

I can't recommend the 50s Standard enough. I bought it on a whim off Reverb as it was 3 miles away from me and I did a cach deal.

Really pleased, although it's not overly light (9lb 1oz)

• jeromegreendayjeromegreenday Frets: 191
    I know a bit about Les Paul deluxes. Norlin era les paul deluxes were pancake body design til about 1977, they went back to a more traditional 50's design after '77, despite them being produced in the 80's I just don't recall seeing many 80's Norlin era les paul deluxes for sale and a quick google now reveals people want stupid money for them. I have a 70's with mini humbuckers. It looks like a les paul but it doesn't sound like one. Mini humbuckers are incredibly low output, they wont push your amp at all, if anything they give you more headroom. The bridge is thinner and jangly, as soon as you go to the middle or neck pickup it turns into a wonderful jazz tone! I wouldn't go down the route of paying all that money for a les paul deluxe then possibly putting p90's in it.
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 340
    I know a bit about Les Paul deluxes. Norlin era les paul deluxes were pancake body design til about 1977, they went back to a more traditional 50's design after '77, despite them being produced in the 80's I just don't recall seeing many 80's Norlin era les paul deluxes for sale and a quick google now reveals people want stupid money for them. I have a 70's with mini humbuckers. It looks like a les paul but it doesn't sound like one. Mini humbuckers are incredibly low output, they wont push your amp at all, if anything they give you more headroom. The bridge is thinner and jangly, as soon as you go to the middle or neck pickup it turns into a wonderful jazz tone! I wouldn't go down the route of paying all that money for a les paul deluxe then possibly putting p90's in it.
    I don't think it's really stupid money, it's natural appreciation for a now vintage classic. The late 70's/early 80's Deluxe's are the best of the bunch IMO (other than pre 73 but those are much more expensive in anything other than a horrid clown burst. I've a 1980 Deluxe in natural and it's one of the best Les Paul's I've ever played. Heavy at around 10.2lb's, but beautifully made and effortless to play. Pancake Deluxe's usually weigh in over 10lb's and can have pretty shoddy build quality so it's important to play before buying. 
  • jeromegreendayjeromegreenday Frets: 191
    I was curious about mine, I've never weighed it, I just did now, a hair over 10lbs. Of all my guitars it's taken me the longest to understand or bond with. Just my opinion but mini humbucker really need a good valve amp. Anything less and they can sound narrow and flat. They do great cleans but an amp dialled in, just breakup up, that's where they come to life, pure grit , the neck pickup does a great fender tweed type sag / starved tone. I can't use mine with many pedals - maybe I have a shite one! I just think they're very complicated pickups but when you get used to them they are very rewarding. Just very misunderstood pickups and you have to work to find their niche - sorry to derail the thread and being called Norlin4life you know more about Norlin Era than me!
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 340
    I was curious about mine, I've never weighed it, I just did now, a hair over 10lbs. Of all my guitars it's taken me the longest to understand or bond with. Just my opinion but mini humbucker really need a good valve amp. Anything less and they can sound narrow and flat. They do great cleans but an amp dialled in, just breakup up, that's where they come to life, pure grit , the neck pickup does a great fender tweed type sag / starved tone. I can't use mine with many pedals - maybe I have a shite one! I just think they're very complicated pickups but when you get used to them they are very rewarding. Just very misunderstood pickups and you have to work to find their niche - sorry to derail the thread and being called Norlin4life you know more about Norlin Era than me!
    No I completely agree with you. Mini humbuckers are wonderful things but definitely take some dialling in. I suppose we live in an age where lots of guitarists have multiple instruments and mini’s can feel a little bit like a halfway house. They definitely do edge of breakup very well and clean up quite nicely too. They are the guitar equivalent of that odd spice jar you have in the back of your kitchen cupboard. It’s not something you reach for all the time, but when added to the right dish it’s *chefs kiss* absolutely perfect. Try your with a Jan Ray pedal fyi. Gives a beautiful crunch as tubedrivers and BD’s never really sound right with them to my ears.
    So whats a pancake body? Is it laminated?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Two chunks of mahogany with a thin layer of maple in-between.  Gibson probably claim it stopped the bodies warping, or something, but it was essentially a cost-cutting exercise.

Philly_Q said:
    Two chunks of mahogany with a thin layer of maple in-between.  Gibson probably claim it stopped the bodies warping, or something, but it was essentially a cost-cutting exercise.

I have seen that in some photos, I was wondering what it was. When did they do that? Is that all Deluxe models?