Gibson J200 Alternative

What's Hot
pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
I can’t justify the price of a Gibson J200. Can you help with a decent cheaper alternative
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    I played a guild jumbo 12 string a couple of weeks ago - F512e I think? 

Genuinely one of the best acoustics I’ve ever played and if I was in the market I’d have bought it there and then. I’m sure the 6-string would be just as good. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    I neve4 had any problems with the £350ish Epiphone EJ200CE.  Some will always dislike things but I enjoyed it for strumming and finger picking and for a small guy didn’t find any difficulty with size, surprisingly.

I have been interested how Epiphone and Gibson have introduced a variety of versions of this in different price points in the past couple of years. Eg those Gibson ones with a soundhole port but with other simpler parts/finish, the Epiphone Masterbuilts, and this months’ Guitarist has some solid wood and beautiful ones just above the £1000 mark which look fabukous but are Epiphones.

good luck with your search, hope that’s as much fun as getting one and playing it.

Where / who did @munckee sell his Gorgeous (walnut?) one too a year or so back that was divine looking and unique
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Mine was aSJ100 walnut so a lot less bling and patterns than a 200. It was a lovely thing, I sold it as I wanted a dreadnought, it went to a chap via gumtree. 

I tried the epiphone inspired by solid j45 next to a Gibson studio j45 and there was no comparison the Gibson was on a totally different level. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7943
    edited June 2
    Have you played a J200? Slightly odd sounding.
    I have played a vintage and modern one and they have a low end that is quite dissociated. Highs are plinky...it's just too big a body. Lowden jumbos get it right but that's the opposite style of tone. 

A Guild would be great: US made, maple like a J200 and cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196216851350?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ENkKEh3BReu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tXAsncnbQFC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or if on a budget wait for a GAD-JF to pop up. I used to have an OM of theirs and they sound lovely

Interesting: https://www.peachguitars.com/guild-jumbo-junior-reserve-maple-electro-natural.htm?opt=45381

The Epiphone version sounds bad. No exaggeration.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    ^ Congratulations! Never before have I seen the phrases "US-made Guild" and "cheaper" in the same sentence!
  • pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
    Anyone tried a Sigma GJA-SG200
  • camfcamf Frets: 1202
    What sort of budget are you thinking about? 
  • pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
    £800 maximum
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 819
    edited June 3
    Epiphone/Sigma

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-200 Aged Natural Antique Gloss (Ex-Demo) #23021500512 | guitarguitar
    Sigma GJA-SG200-AN | guitarguitar

But what you really want is this recently announced Chinese Epiphone 'copy'. Looks cosmic! In fact it's an epiphany!

Epiphone 1957 SJ-200 Acoustic, Vintage Sunburst | PMT Online

Or go a bit more wild and buy one of the worlds most beautiful guitars although I have no idea what it sounds like, it's quite expensive and it's not a J200.  But apart from that!
    :-)

Eastman Acoustic AC Solid Heritage | AC630 - Blonde - Peach Guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19799
    Have you played a J200? Slightly odd sounding.
    I have played a vintage and modern one and they have a low end that is quite dissociated. Highs are plinky...it's just too big a body. Lowden jumbos get it right but that's the opposite style of tone. 

A Guild would be great: US made, maple like a J200 and cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196216851350?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ENkKEh3BReu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tXAsncnbQFC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or if on a budget wait for a GAD-JF to pop up. I used to have an OM of theirs and they sound lovely

Interesting: https://www.peachguitars.com/guild-jumbo-junior-reserve-maple-electro-natural.htm?opt=45381

The Epiphone version sounds bad. No exaggeration.
    Maybe a teensy weensy bijou exaggerationette?
    Don't know how many thousand Epiphone EJ-200's have been made & sold, but I have an older Korean one that sounds very good to me & several other players, so maybe they aren't all bad?
    I accept that tone is in the ears/head, but such sweeping statements don't help  ;)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7943
    I have not played any new model but the electro j200 Epi I played was bad and I have never played an acoustic Epi I liked including the "nice" J45 copies. Maybe good ones are out there or maybe Epiphone owners just don't enjoy reading my comment.

But in my personal experience there are more reliable budget brands to buy sight unseen like Recording King, Blueridge, Guild GADs & Eastman.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4803
    There is a new Epi J200 out right now.  Received rave reviews in Guitarist.  About a quarter of the Gibson price.

Cue all the Epiphone haters and deniers

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    rlw said:
    There is a new Epi J200 out right now.  Received rave reviews in Guitarist.  About a quarter of the Gibson price.

Cue all the Epiphone haters and deniers

Yes they’ve recently done this and it seems to be well respected ,they also do a posh hummingbird & 335 
  • Terry6120Terry6120 Frets: 0
    A bit late to this thread but also try a Yamaha LJ16. An excellent guitar that you wouldn't really need to upgrade for a long time but costs around £1500
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    pvdmac said:
    £800 maximum
    Tak EN20

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• PM'd
    God bless this kitchen said the knick knack chef
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16163
    A dishwasher
    tae be or not tae be