Mic placement

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1425
edited June 2 in Live
At the gig yesterday, the sound man asked me how I wanted my amps mic’d…. He did the torch thing to see where the speakers were but asked me how I preferred it.

1. I have no idea
2. I have never had the time, facilities or kit to figure out what my preference would be

So I ended up bluffing it. ‘Just off centre please’ as I seem to recall previous comments on here as being as good as any.

Any thoughts for bluffing it with the sound crew if needed in the future?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7132
    Centre is more top end, outer edge is less top end. Closer is more bass (proximity effect).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
    I always feel the cabinet to see where the speaker is and then mic it off centre/edge . Centre is always too boomy.

In all my time doing this job, there is only one artist who placed his own guitar mic, whilst  a fair few have gaffa tape on their amp to indicate where they want the mic to be placed. 

From front of house mixing point of view off centre/ edge is best, then we can just add what is missing in the room. My preferred mic is a 906 on a stand, although beginning to love the Beyer TG 151 on guitar cabs bit more detailed than the 906

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 106
    edited June 3
    “Whatever you think is best” is also a perfectly appropriate answer, in fact it’s probably what they really want to hear and are just checking if you have strong feelings on the matter.

Often a S/E is looking for an indication that the Talent wants to let them get on with their job with just a few hints on specifics.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Think about what else is close by. If you have a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12 then mic the speaker that's the farthest from the drum kit. You can also slightly angle the mic to get more off axis rejection. 

I used to do loads of live band multi tracking and mixing. Drum spill getting into the guitar mics and vocal mics was always a problem and I learnt a lot over those years about minimising spill. This is more important than the small variations between brands of mic for me. I've done thousands of gigs with a Panasonic mic, 906's and 57's. There are differences and I have preferences but rule no 1 is mic the amp for the least amount of spill. 

For studio, home tracking etc it's not really an issue 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom