Entry level band PA system ?

What's Hot
Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7
edited June 12 in Gear Reviews
Not sure if this is the right section for this ?
Looking for an entry level PA system for an amateur bunch of us to use in a practice hall, and maybe small venue of up to 100 people. 5/6 piece: 1 or 2 vocals, 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drummer (real or electronic set). Including foldback speaker.
Not very technical on this side of things, just a basic complete kit, probably second-hand and reasonable/budget price.
We have guitar and bass amps.
Don't know what wattage would do.
Mustn't be too monstrous to cart around and simple to set up.
Any pointers as to where to start ? Can update gear later (if we progress, haha).
Much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    An old Peavey mixer amp and a pair of 12s would be where I'd start. 300 watts or so. Something like this: Peavey XR 600C Mixer Amp UK spec | eBay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    For 'entry level/simple to set up' it's worth looking at the Yamaha Stagepas range. My friend had one for acoustic gigs and he was very happy with it. They've made various size/wattage though. His one had two main speakers, a mixer, and all the leads included. Obviously you'd still need mics, and probably at least one powered monitor. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7
    RickLucas said:
    An old Peavey mixer amp and a pair of 12s would be where I'd start. 300 watts or so. Something like this: Peavey XR 600C Mixer Amp UK spec | eBay
    Thanks RickLucas ! Certainly an approach to begin with and got me thinking - plenty of channels, shame they won't post as it's collect only. Guess a cobbled together system, with used bits should be more budget conscious.
    For 'entry level/simple to set up' it's worth looking at the Yamaha Stagepas range. My friend had one for acoustic gigs and he was very happy with it. They've made various size/wattage though. His one had two main speakers, a mixer, and all the leads included. Obviously you'd still need mics, and probably at least one powered monitor. 

Thanks Supportact ! These compact (very portable) all in one systems are interesting and seem to come up for sale often. I guess the 600 ones pack a bit more punch for an electric band, but these seem to only have a few input channels. I don't know if you can double up on each channel, or maybe put guitars alone through their own amps. My ignorance is probably overcomplicating a simpler solution or entry point !
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    As column arrays and active speakers have become available, the older stuff has become a bargain at all levels, whether Peavey or Electrovoice. Yes it's heavier, but it works.
    Just wondering if something like this, some old Laney gear may be a complete package for us - it's not too far away and I already have a possibly compatible small Laney foldback/stage monitor? Confused bu these column thingies !
    LANEY 10-CHANNEL PA / DSP MIXER CD1042S + LANEY CX12 SPEAKERS, LEADS & STANDS
    ebay item number: 285747328268
    doesn't look like it would take up too much storage space.
    (tried to paste direct link, but it's me again, never easy haha)
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    Jimbo55 said:

Thanks Supportact ! These compact (very portable) all in one systems are interesting and seem to come up for sale often. I guess the 600 ones pack a bit more punch for an electric band, but these seem to only have a few input channels. I don't know if you can double up on each channel, or maybe put guitars alone through their own amps. My ignorance is probably overcomplicating a simpler solution or entry point !
    I think if you're only playing a small venue or practice room, (and depending what type of music you're playing), you may only want to put the vocals through the PA. Totally right to try to work out how many inputs you need though.  

For example,  my band playing a small venue would put 2 x vocal mics, plus an acoustic guitar ( pickup), plus sax (wireless pickup) through the PA. Bass and electric guitar are loud enough through their own amps. Drums are generally unmiced, although sometimes we'll mic the kick depending on how it sounds in the room (but thats more for the sound than for loudness). So we're only really using 3 x xlr and 1 x jack inputs on the mixer. 

That's generally fine for a small hall or pub. Any places we play that are bigger than that tend to have their own pa and sound engineer anyway.  

We're playing laid back acoustic Americana type stuff though,  a metal band would have different requirements.  
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    If it’s of any interest, I have a Mackie powered mixer with loads of power and plenty of channels that I would let go pretty cheaply if you are local to me in Worcestershire?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3373
    Pm'd
    If it’s of any interest, I have a Mackie powered mixer with loads of power and plenty of channels that I would let go pretty cheaply if you are local to me in Worcestershire?
    Quite a distance from Worcs unfortunately but thank you - what sort of spec is it for info, have seen Mackie name but I little I know on these. Thanks
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3373
    Pm'd with more info and pics
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    Jimbo55 said:
    Quite a distance from Worcs unfortunately but thank you - what sort of spec is it for info, have seen Mackie name but I little I know on these. Thanks
    No worries, it’s a Mackie 808M so all in one mixer amp, tonnes of channels and HUGE power - quite a weighty thing so not class D (which is a good thing!)
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Isn’t there a cheapish brand called QTX or QRX  that would have something suitable for this job 
      Or are they not very good