Can you recommend a good, cheap bass amp for rehearsals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Heavy cabs can be had for buttons - little while ago I saw an old Ampeg 810 that went for £150! - perfectly working, just that the tolex looked like a T-rex had been at it. And the 100lb weight of course.
    And the rest... they do vary, but most versions are at least 140lb, and some almost 200!

I was once offered one for a similar price - it had been stripped to the wood and painted with what looked like black steam boiler paint or something, with metal fence mesh for a grille - rougher than a very rough thing. It sounded great of course, but I just couldn't face moving it even at that price.

I also very briefly had a Mesa Roadready 1x15"+1x10"+2x6"+horn cab - it weighed exactly the same as I did at the time (137lbs), had the world's most uncomfortable side handles, and left the house only twice... once when I took it to a practice studio, and once when I got rid of it. It sounded amazing but it was just completely impractical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1406
    edited June 21
    i think you have to find a building with an old trace elliot inside and make a rehearsal space around it. nobody knows where they come from and yet they're always there. like ley lines or something
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
    The good thing is that my rehearsal space is in my workshop next door to my house. Therefore, weight is not an issue, and neither is space.

My friend is checking out a 600-watt 4x10 combo for me tomorrow for an excellent price. If that one works out, I will get it, as it is the other end of the country from me, but he is a bass player, and it is right where he lives.

Even with courier fees, it will be a bargain.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    600w 4x10….

Ashdown ABM600C?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

edited June 23
    600w 4x10….

Ashdown ABM600C?
    It's this one in a 4x10 combo setup.

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/mag-c410t-600-evo-iii

He just tested it for me, gave it the thumbs up, and put it in his car. So I will get a courier to collect all 50kg of it and send it down south to me.

I'm hoping it will be enough for jamming with my mates. It looks pretty solid, and I can always add a spare cab with a 15" speaker if it needs it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    If it needs another cab, get another 4x10. 
    Mixing cabs has always been a shite idea despite the popularity. EQ settings for 1 are never right for the other.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

If it needs another cab, get another 4x10. 
    Mixing cabs has always been a shite idea despite the popularity. EQ settings for 1 are never right for the other.
    Depends on the cabs. That Mesa cab was basically full-range but not hi-fi, if that makes sense - it sounded great with four different speaker types.

I also had a Trace Elliot stack with a 1x15” and a 2x10”+2x5” - it sounded fantastic, but perhaps not as surprisingly, neither cab sounded amazing on its own.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The front grill was a bit ratty and a bit mouldy, but I have cleaned it up since this photo and reattached it minus the six screws remedy of the previous owner.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1369
    This is my Trace.  Each bit is a two man lift, including the head (but I am weedy) but it sounds incredible and has the added bonus of relieving constipation.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bod said:

Each bit is a two man lift, including the head (but I am weedy)
    They didn't put proper end handles on it for nothing...

Mine was a smaller version of that with a 1x15" only about the height of the speaker and the ports at the side, the 2x10"+2x5" was the same size, and the head was a flightcased rackmount AH200. It was still a faff to move, but I could manage each of the boxes myself... the top cab was the heaviest bit.

edited July 14
    I managed to pick up an empty 15" cabinet for peanuts this afternoon (gotta love Facebook Marlet Place).

I need to source a 15" speaker that works with the 600-watt RMS Ashdown amp—considering that there is already a 4x10 set in the combo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

You're not going to be anywhere near southern Scotland in the near future are you? I have an Ashdown 15" blue cone speaker that I think came out of a 300W combo (Ashdown don't put power ratings on their speakers)... it would probably be a bit of a pain to ship unfortunately.

Keep a look out on Ebay for something decent - you need at least 300W preferably, and 8 ohm. Avoid the cheap new ones, they're crap.

Failing that, Lean Business often have bargains in Celestion or Eminence - all the cheap ones there are sold out at the moment, but they get new stock fairly often.

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, we are at almost complete opposite ends on this island. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something suitable.
    The Ashdown 15" bass cabs seem to be rated all over the place in wattage terms. I've seen 200, 250,300 and 500-watt cabs. 

I will see if I can find a suitable 15" speaker around 300 watt.