Peterborough Guitar Shops

What's Hot
S56035S56035 Frets: 1443
Evening,

I'm paying a visit to the passport office in Peterborough at the weekend. Any guitar shops with good secondhand stock worth visiting?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1209
    Nope. All gone as far as I'm aware.
    Nearest is Music Street in Huntingdon which is 25-30 minute drive away.
    Actually, Stamford Music is 15-20 minutes away. 

I know a bass player with an impressive collection of stringed instruments on display in his studio, not sure if he sells them though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098

There's nothing interesting in there, either. Bunch of practice amps, some cheap modellers, the usual selection of 20-odd sub-£500 guitars, that's pretty much it.
    <space for hire>
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1443
    Oh well, thanks anyway.  It's probably a good think bank balance wise.  Just read that the appointment is 10 mins long, so that's 2.5hours of driving there and back for 10 mins!
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2099
    S56035 said:
    Oh well, thanks anyway.  It's probably a good think bank balance wise.  Just read that the appointment is 10 mins long, so that's 2.5hours of driving there and back for 10 mins!
    There is a very nice Strat for sale from  Peterborough based forum member @bgmartinsbridge ;

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/267152/fs-ft-2850-limited-edition-namm-fender-cs-ancho-poblano-stratocaster#latest
    That is lovely but I was hoping to browse a used section for inspiration.  Also, £5k isn't quite the level I was aiming at :-D
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2952
    edited June 25
    Cheers for the mention, my strat is 2850 so def not 5k :-)

I'm in Pboro, not far from the passport office. 

There is one guitar shop in Pboro that's good for strings but other than cheap entry level stuff I wouldn't bother. 

My advice, literally cross the road over the bridge from the passport office and go to Charters. It's a grain barge on the river that serves real ale, Thai food and at weekends in the afternoon and evening has bands on sat and Sunday. Prob one of the best outdoor pubs and venues in the city. 

I keep waiting for @jamesoliver1234 to play there ;-)
    Gizz Butt was there last weekend as he lives locally and supports bands occasionally. I was there randomly a few years ago just having a beer outside and he was stood on a picnic table bashing out a solo. Must have been six foot away. And free. 

If you need any further info and want to have a chat give me a pm. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed about popping into Charters, enjoy the beer garden and maybe something Thai off their lunch menu.

@bgmartinsbridge; where's the guitar shop that's good for strings and cheap stuff?
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2952
    @roundthebend - bloody hell, just did a Google and it's now showing as closed permanently.

Breve music, in the Asda car park. 

That's it, Pboro is officially clear of any music shops. 

Closest shop I guess is now Huntingdon Music Street. 

@bgmartinsbridge ; Thanks for the tips.  My appointment is around lunch time so sounds like I've got a lunch venue sorted before going to home.

Had a look at Music Street and it's not a big detour so I'll probably stop off and have a browse there.  Guys gents.
    @S56035 ;
    Music Street is a nice little shop, in a slightly grim shopping precinct. I've been in there briefly to buy strings on my lunch break, but I've heard great things about their selection of acoustics and electrics, and I know they have reasonable stock of secondhand guitars too. Shouldn't be busy either so you'll be able to try stuff in relative peace. Let us know how you get on as I want to visit for a new acoustic at some point.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    Nope. All gone as far as I'm aware.
    Nearest is Music Street in Huntingdon which is 25-30 minute drive away.

I know a bass player with an impressive collection of stringed instruments on display in his studio, not sure if he sells them though.
    I think I know him ,he does my setups ,wonderful chap
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    Peterborough is not too good for music shops as everyone says ,music street Huntingdon , a small place in Oakham , PMT in Cambridge seems the best nearest 
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 98
    S56035 said:
    @bgmartinsbridge ; Thanks for the tips.  My appointment is around lunch time so sounds like I've got a lunch venue sorted before going to home.

Had a look at Music Street and it's not a big detour so I'll probably stop off and have a browse there.  Guys gents.
    Music Street is always worth a visit. Excellent guitar shop.