Road worn acoustics?

What's Hot
bluecatbluecat Frets: 639
You don't really see road worn acoustics, like you see electrics. I would think most acoustic players like to keep their guitars pristine and pretty looking, I like to keep all my guitars that way, electric and acoustic.
The only road worn acoustic I have seen is that of Willie Nelson and probably Donovan in his early career.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5880
    People tend to treat good acoustics with respect. Not always, but mostly. A lot of the "road wear" you see on electrics is actually just ill-treatment and abuse. (Or relicking, of course, which is just another form of abuse.)

Also, you can't abuse or damage an acoustic top very much before you start risking serious failure. Solid bodies and semis are a different matter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492
    Not really road worn, but Atkin do aged finishes on a lot of their stuff. They're just "well looked after old guitar" and they're really nice
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4333
    edited June 25
    Eastman’s 'Antique Varnish' (i.e. french polish) series are lovely, they have very natural looking & feeling wear & tear - highly recommended.

There's some good close-ups of the work they do here - it's subtle but realistic IME, and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for this version over my E10SS:

https://rguitars.co.uk/products/eastman-e10ss-v-acoustic-guitar

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1369
    I would be worried about it changing the tone on an acoustic more than an electric.  Reckon you could saw of a horn of a start and it wouldn't make a difference to the sound.

Those Atkins do look very nice too.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27830
    Moved to Acoustic.
    <space for hire>
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5596
    edited June 25
    Martin Streetmasters were the obvious one to pop into my mind - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/martin/streetmaster/
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4333
    Whitecat said:
    Martin Streetmasters were the obvious one to pop into my mind - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/martin/streetmaster/
    Or the even cheaper-er version: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/211203377857025--ditson-by-sigma-000-15-aged-natural
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    Unfortunately my old Takamine EN20C is a bit roadworn. I didn't want it that way but it has a few miles on the clock (bought in 1997).
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 35
    edited June 25
    I think you're right in that it hasn't caught on to the same extent as electric guitars, but there's "Pre war guitars".

• LewyLewy Frets: 4459
    I think you're right in that it hasn't caught on to the same extent as electric guitars, but there's "Pre war guitars".

Yes, and Martin has a range of aged custom shop Historics too. What it enables both makers to do is use finishes roughly half the thickness of non-aged guitars by virtue of them not needing to look perfect, and on a finely made acoustic that can have a material impact on tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9961
    I came in to say Atkins and Eastwood.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2095
    I came in to say Atkins and Eastwood.
    Claude and Clint?
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 832
    edited June 26
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2479
    My Atkin Black Pearl after a couple of years of solid weekend gigging! This pic was taken a few months ago so it’s more worn now! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492
    I tell you what, I played a fairly-heavily aged Atkin dust bowl thing in GV the other week. The smallest acoustic I’ve ever played by far and utterly spectacular. Ridiculously loud for its size as well

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product/atkin-parlor-dust-bowl-aged-natural

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 259
    Sorry people, I don't see the point of sn 'aged' finish on a new guitar - on the black Atkin above, the Baggs pickup looks more expensive than the guitar.
    I accept dings scratches and wear as a matter of course but I wouldn't shell out for a new one aged like that.
    I've possibly opened a can of worms here but it wasn't intended to offend anyone who does like aged finishes.
     :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7991
    Soupman said:
    Sorry people, I don't see the point of sn 'aged' finish on a new guitar - on the black Atkin above, the Baggs pickup looks more expensive than the guitar.
    I accept dings scratches and wear as a matter of course but I wouldn't shell out for a new one aged like that.
    I've possibly opened a can of worms here but it wasn't intended to offend anyone who does like aged finishes.

That's fine, you've made the most predictable post you can possibly make on a guitar forum,  so everyone is well used to seeing it in it's various iterations over the last two decades :)
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2479
    Soupman said:

That’s not an aged finish, that’s actual real life wear!
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    Soupman said:

I'm with you - can't see the point but it's up to the individual.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5880
    Soupman said:

That's fine, you've made the most predictable post you can possibly make on a guitar forum,  so everyone is well used to seeing it in it's various iterations over the last two decades :)
    It's only predictable because it's the truth. Sunrise tomorrow is predictable too. Same reason.