Well done Keefy, now the chance for Sound Engineers to have their say!

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
@Keefy thread is excellant , so I thought I’d start one for those of us who spend their lives mixing bands to add some words of wisdom.

First thing to say the engineer is there to help you achieve a great gig. There are a lot of things to sort with the PA befor you arrive and get your gear on stage, so bare this in mind don’t just arrive and start setting your gear up without permission. 

Once you’ve set up, get off stage to allow crew to set mics up etc, please don’t “just warm up a bit” until everything is ready.

If you need to borrow a lead or mains plug remember to give it back.

Dont ask for a vocal mic if you’re not going to use it!

That’ll do for a start
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    I'd say: be ready, be polite, and be patient. 

Also:

- if you have a mute switch on your acoustic guitar, remember to unmute it again when it's time to play. The amount of times people forget and I think something's not working.

- if you have a wireless pack that you switch off when it's not being used (see above)

- try to be understanding if there's a problem or a delay.  If they are dealing with the problem let them work on it.

- don't whack the hell out of the kit while the engineer is setting up. 

- try to be nice. It can be a bit of a thankless task doing the sound, and you can get blamed for anything that goes wrong. So try to be aware of how you interact with that person.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2416
    Wow, a response thread to one of my threads - I feel like I’ve won the Internet today!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    edited June 28
    I'd say: be ready, be polite, and be patient. 

Also:

- if you have a mute switch on your acoustic guitar, remember to unmute it again when it's time to play. The amount of times people forget and I think something's not working.

- if you have a wireless pack that you switch off when it's not being used (see above)

- try to be understanding if there's a problem or a delay.  If they are dealing with the problem let them work on it.

- don't whack the hell out of the kit while the engineer is setting up. 

- try to be nice. It can be a bit of a thankless task doing the sound, and you can get blamed for anything that goes wrong. So try to be aware of how you interact with that person.  

LoL on that mute switch point

I wouldn't dare start a conflict with any sound guy. It's akin to yelling at a chef. Chef can spit on your food, sound guy can make you sound bad (if they really wanted to). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 587
    I always give the sound guy a copy of the set list, so he at least knows when he’s going to get rid of us
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    If I ask for a level on the mic then give me something at least half-way realistic ... don't just mumble 1, 2, 1, 2 down the mic. I can't set a PFL with that and if I have to adjust the gain during the gig all the monitors will be affected too. So please, just sing a bit down the mic, you're muted FOH so the crowd won't hear you. 

If it's a multiband bash then get your shit off the stage as quick as poss and then have a natter about how it went. We sometimes only get 15 mins for changeovers and every minute of that is needed. 

Be realistic about IEM's ... yes I can feed your receiver from a passthrough off a wedge but we don't have time to set you up a perfectly balanced IEM mix ... especially since no ones' given me a realistic PFL level to begin with :)

Don't tell me "This is a Helix, you probably haven't seen one before, it goes straight into the PA"  .... I know what it is, you haven't turned up with anything new in FOH technology. 

No I don't want to trigger your BT's from your phone. That's your job, not FOH's or monitors responsibility. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    @danny1969 to be fair on the Helix thing the guys here in the UAE are constantly amazed when I want to DI my tonemaster and/or Origin bass rig preamp… 

We’re a bit behind the times here… :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 845
    edited July 7
    I’ve gigged with a Helix through an FRFR and the sound guy insisted on putting a mic on the front! I tried to explain several times….
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom