Book recommendation

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 573
I have just started reading "The Twang Dynasty" by Deke Leonard and it is absolutely brilliant (£8 on kindle). The late Deke Leonard was a guitarist in Welsh psychedelic rock band Man and his own band "Iceberg" he is also a great raconteur. I have previously read "Winos Rhinos & Lunatics" & "Maximum Darkness" which are also great books.
Don't touch that dial.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3028
    +1 on that.

I particularly liked the fact that it was such a personal journey through the history of the electric guitar and guitarists, which saves it from being a tedious trudge through the dates and names (never a likely outcome for one of Deke's books). Plus he gave plenty of space to a few guitarists I really liked, but who weren't the most famous, such as Larry Wallis. And the end of his Hendrix story... :) 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    Don't forget "Maybe I Should've Stayed In Bed".

When Deke's famous Tele was stolen he referred to the thief as "some ulcerous fuckdog". Lovely turn of phrase.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    Yep I'll look out for those books mentioned... my first album, Man - Slow Motion, my first gig Man - Manchester Free Trade Hall 20/05/1975. You never forget your first albums and gigs!  :)
  • FezFez Frets: 573
    Yep I'll look out for those books mentioned... my first album, Man - Slow Motion, my first gig Man - Manchester Free Trade Hall 20/05/1975. You never forget your first albums and gigs!  :)
    I didn't get to that probably doing exams at the time. The Free trade hall was one of the best venues, I saw loads of bands there. I didn't get to see Man until 2000 at the Canterbury sound festival.

"Maybe I should have stayed in bed" is on the list to read.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    The Magus by John Fowles.

Probably, my fav best book of all time.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1247
    GuyBoden said:
    The Magus by John Fowles.

Probably, my fav best book of all time.

I read that many years ago. Remember liking it but couldn't tell you anything about it. Must get round to re-reading it sometime.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Mo Foster’s “Seventeen Watts?!” is a good read if you like Deke’s books. 

I loved Man, saw them many times from the early 70s onwards. I got my copy of the Rhinos, Winos book signed by Deke at a gig not long before he died. He’d had a stroke by that time and wasn’t up to playing to anything like his normal standards but he was still the same old Deke in character. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    boogieman said:
    Mo Foster’s “Seventeen Watts?!” is a good read if you like Deke’s books. 

I loved Man, saw them many times from the early 70s onwards. I got my copy of the Rhinos, Winos book signed by Deke at a gig not long before he died. He’d had a stroke by that time and wasn’t up to playing to anything like his normal standards but he was still the same old Deke in character. 

I've got that one - great read.