Facebook MarketPlace - need some advice guys

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
edited July 2 in Guitar
Found a guitar that I'd like to buy on FBMP, am having good comms with the seller, agreed a price (circa in the region of £500, so not thousands) and he's not far from my sister who can pick it up for me or he could even drop it into her. 

But transpires he's selling it obo a dyslexic friend. Because his friend has been burned on Paypal siding with buyer he only wants cash/bank transfer.This might be possible via cash if my sister & her hubby see it first, & video me for a quick look over before handing over cash.

There's probably nothing 'untoward' going on here but I'm a bit 'nervous' & I'm trying to ensure I protect myself to ensure money is going to the right person.  It's all a bit 'untidy' - whilst I like the guitar I need to be careful to sensibly balance head/heart.

Any advice guys?  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    Get your sister to deal with the cash. I just bought an amp via Facebook at the other end of the country by asking my mate to check it out, etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7410
    There’s no buyer protection- it’s just like buying something from the old newspaper classifieds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    edited July 2
    mrkb said:
    There’s no buyer protection- it’s just like buying something from the old newspaper classifieds.
    I wouldn't do a bank transfer but a cash/guitar swap would seem OK. checked, & payment would be to his friend, not him.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2526
    No....no and thrice no. Cash on collection or bye bye. FBM is full of scammers using what looking like genuine profiles that have been hacked ages ago. The OBO sales are especially suspect usually. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    It's OK guys, all sorted and cash on handover with receipt and owner delivering it to my sister, with his friend who put the ad in for him, and we'll vid link so I can look around it and my sister and her hubby will look it over too, but seems to be a minter and we've all swapped numbers so all has a good feel. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8975
    Voxman said:
    ...... seems to be a minter and we've all swapped numbers .....
    I had to read that twice while wondering what induced you to start swapping numbers with a munter  :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 160
    Is it really worth putting yourself through all this hassle? Personally I’d spent the extra few quid and buy it in person.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3935
    I’ve done it numerous times, up to several thousand pounds. It’s a risk, obviously. Thus far, never been burned. I think it’s usually not too hard to identify scam profiles. I’m likely too trusting!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent