SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

ALL SOLD vintage Mullard/Philips valves

What's Hot
Super8Super8 Frets: 18
edited July 7 in Amps £
Hello All

I have the following vintage Mullard/Philips valves for sale. They came from a vintage 1973 Traynor YGM3.

They were working fine and sounding great in the amp when I got it, (around 10 years ago), but I decided to take them out  to conserve them, and replaced them with new JJ's (which also sounded great!).

I have just sold the Traynor (with the JJs in), and then remembered that I had these tucked away safely in my spares box. They have not been tested recently, but I assume they should be fine. I will be happy to accept returns and give a refund for any that turn out to be defective.

I have a pair of Mullard 6BQ5 (El84s), marked/etched with the following codes: "KMI B4J2" (which my reserach tells me were made at the Blackburn factory, in the 2nd week of October in either 1964 or 1974). Also marked made in Great Britain.

I aslo have 4 x Philips 7025A/12AX7As, marked "PHILIPS" and "H5E",  "Great Britain" and with the code "163".
Two of them have the further code "B5A3" (= manufactured Blackburn, 3rd week of January, 1965 or 1975?)
The other two are coded B5E3 (= manufactured Blackburn, 3rd week of May, 1965 0r 1975?)

NB. I am not sure how to tell the difference from the codes between a 60's or 70s manufactured valve - I only know that the second character (e.g. B4J2  or B5A3), denotes the year of the decade - happy to be advised by anybody who knows?

Really hard to photograph the codes on these, but they are defintely correct and can be seen with the naked eye - just can't get my camera phone to pick them up clearly enough.  Please pm me if you would like further photos of any specific part of them.

I am asking £50 for the pair of Mullard El84s and £80 for the quad of Philips 12AX7As

Or make me a bargain offer of £100 for all 6! - Even if you were only really after 1 or 2 of them, you might want to buy all 6 - then take the ones you like best and sell the others to cover your costs (or keep them for spares)?

I would rather sell in pairs or groups if I can, but I am also happy to consider offers for individual valves.

I will endeavour to pack and post securely, and as they haven't been tested for a few years I am happy to offer a refund on return of any that aren't working properly, (though I really don't anticipate that to be the case!)

Now all sold

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    That's about right - £20 each for any Mullard valve with no proper testing is about right, and £50 for the pair of EL84s is OK if they don't have obvious damage from running too hot. (But be warned, many do.)

I was asking £30 for Mullard ECC83s when I cleared out a lot of my spares during lockdown - I did test them by putting them in a valve pedal and just listened to them for good tone, good gain and low microphonics, but I didn't use a proper valve tester. (There's no real reason to, in fact - it still won't tell you if they're good in a guitar amp, but a guitar amp will!)

I would sell them on here not on Ebay, or you run the risk of buyers taking advantage and claiming they're not working properly, and Ebay will force refunds. Buyers here are trustable and if the valves are described as untested and with a half decent photo you should have no problems - most of us understand that second hand valves are a bit of a gamble, but that with decent quality old ones you'll usually be fine. When I sold mine I offered a simple warranty - it they don't work as expected, or fail within what would be considered a reasonable amount of time (which I didn't specify, just left it open to sensible interpretation) then you get a refund. I sold well over 200 valves and had one single faulty one reported, which I have no doubt was genuine and it just failed for some reason after a day or so.

An egg box and tissue paper inside a jiffy bag makes a good way of packing up to six preamp valves for posting, but I think the EL84s may be too tall unfortunately - although you could cut a bit out and lay them horizontally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Super8Super8 Frets: 18
    Thanks @ICBM, that is really helpful info and advice, and good to know I was roughly in the right ballpark. I'll try and take some better photos and stick up for sale on here tomorrow. Cheers
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    Rats! I just bought an EL84 Mullard via eBay, which is a bit of crap shoot as my tech knowledge is zero. Still on the hunt for a single 12AX7 Mullard so I'll keep an eye out for your selling thread.
    @JezWynd - valves now moved to sale section
    Sold for £100,  pending payment
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    Super8 said:
    @JezWynd - valves now moved to sale section
    Thanks for the heads up but I was too slow on the draw. Good that you managed to sell all in one go, saves lots of faffing around.
    All sold