JAPLANS :)

What's Hot
strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3401
edited July 9 in Off Topic
8 days beginning of December booked, yes 8 days is classed as not long enough but it is what it is and it’s still awesome I’m getting all this travelling in before it gets to the point I’m not self mobile..

anyways we are treating it as a long weekend city break type thing.. stopping in Shinjuku and I think the furthest we may travel to is Yokohama..

aside from parks/temples/shrines/museums the things that spark interest.

Takeshita St
Shubuya Parco 
Tokyo Kabukicho Tower
Akihabara Electric Town
Cosmo Clock 21

I know a couple of you have mentioned the inflated pricing on retro stuff in those areas and the tubers I watch agree but I’m really only looking at bargain bin need repairing stuff..

This that have been in those areas what have you done.. spring baths, food ??

also is Suica card, Revolut and cash the way to go?

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    That sounds awesome 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    AWESOME. 8 days is ok for Tokyo imo. And way better than not going at all!! :) 

Shrines - 100% do Meiji and Senosji/Asakusa. They're both amazing. Meiji is near Takeshita St/Harajuku

If you're into sushi then the Tsukuji fish market is a good wander, and great food all around. There is then a good boat ride up the river that stops right by Asakusa, which makes a nice combination. 

Japan does still use cash more than the west, but honestly we were able to use Apple Pay quite a lot when we went this year, which surprised me. Credit cards and contactless payments are definitely a thing. We've never bothered with Suica, but I think @RaymondLin has so may be able to advise better

I can give a long list of food if helpful, but it'll all be gluten free stuff. Still happy to give recommendations though! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Wow, glad to hear you’re getting some travel in, sounds an exciting trip too. 

I guess @RaymondLin would be the expert here. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    edited July 9
    First....

Money....Suica Card, if you have iPhone, go to Add travel card, it's right there and you can add money to it today, at today's exchange rate.  Otherwise, I would buy Yen through a card like Wise or Revolut, and then take cash out from 7-11 or Lawsons they all have ATM inside.  (Suica might only be top up with Amex only though, but you can test it)

Japan is a cash society but a lot of new places, new trendy cafes run by younger people are now cashless, so it's good to have both.

Use Suica then on your phone to go around all the city routes, even to Yokahama.  Btw, if you think you are overwhelmed when looking at the Tokyo subway map, think of it like this....

The light green Yamanote Line is basically our Circle Line.  Most of the stuff you want to do is on this - Harajuku, Shinkuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Ginza etc.  In the center of this circle are things like the Emperor's Castle.  Outside this circle are Tokyo Skytree to the north east, Cat Temple to the west, Yokohama to the South. Less than 1% of tourists go north of Tokyo, fun fact.

Your list of things to spark interest, hmmmm, just shopping stuff and my view on them.

Takeshita St - Crepes shops, sticker shop, and full of tourists, it's not what it used to be in the 90's
    Shubuya Parco - Great shopping mall, Nintendo Store, Capcon store, nice roof top.
    Tokyo Kabukicho Tower - Actually not been since it's quite recently built.  
    Akihabara Electric Town - It's changed a lot, lots of anime merch stuff, but the retro game scene is expensive there.  Find a HardOff or BookOff another part of town for retro games instead.
    Cosmo Clock 21 - I only saw it in the day.

As for Onsen, I don't know any natural ones inside Tokyo, there will be bath houses call Sento, which is more like tap water and these are dying out too.

Onsens are more of a Japan version of our Spa, you go there to relax.  Sento is where you go get cleaned.  But remember the bath part is for relaxing, the actual cleaning is done sitting on a stool with a shower and bucket.

Things I suggest to do....

Go to Ikebukuro - It is a lesser known and lesser travelled version of Akihabara.  It has Sun Shrine City, which has the original Pokemon store.
    If you need a bin or toilet, look for a nearest Konbini, get a bottle of water just to be a customer and use their facilities.  There are also PET bottles bins by most vending machines if you need a bin.
    I recommend also a day trip to Enoshima, Kamakura and Kawagoe (which has a Kyoto vibe)
    A day trip by either bus or train to Lake Kawaguchi to see Mt Fuji is also easily doable.
    Best view of the city from a skyscraper is Mori Tower and Shibuya Scramble roof top.  Both are open top, both can see Mt Fuji on a clear day.

There are not many places to sit down in Japan, it's just doesn't, there is also a lot of walking so take regular breaks in many of the cafes they have.

As for food, depends what you like.....I could write an essay on it.

Cocoichibanya is great for Japanese curry.
    Any Ramen store is fine, Ichiran however is overrated, if you must go, don't go to one with a long queue, people waiting 45mins for Ichiran is crazy.  If the machine is all in Japanese, Top LEFT is usually their most popular main item.
    A lot of places have iPad now for ordering, from Sushiro to Yakiniku Now! with English names and prices.

I've done 8 days in Japan, even managed several day trips out of Tokyo from it too, it's doable, easy.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just FYI just in case you're thinking Yokohama for the massive Gundam, it's being decommissioned and moved to Osaka, so isn't open any more. 

And a note on one place to head if you want good hot springs - Hakone. It's only about an hour on the train from Tokyo iirc and basically a spa town. Just be aware some venues don't let you in with tattoos (yakuza connotations yay...) and you have to be naked :D But aside from that all good!
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3401
    boogieman said:
    Wow, glad to hear you’re getting some travel in, sounds an exciting trip too. 
    Yeah buzzing for it, My Daughter was there for 2 weeks last year and I’ve been jealous ever since.

it will be the 3rd trip of the year, already been Tenerife then going Turkey or Greece next month, not decided yet leaving it as last minute as we can to save ££s.

We then want to get a couple of cruises in but they can wait until I’ve done all I can do whilst my walking is still manageable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you have any questions let me know, I know Tokyo way better than I know London!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    edited July 9
    We did Japan for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.  I can't wax sufficiently lyrical - we loved it.  Tokyo is great, went to Yokohama and Fukuoka.  I wouldn't know where to begin to recommend to visit, but we loved everywhere we went.

@RaymondLin is yer man and he's posted some fantastic pictures of his Japanese travels elsewhere in the forum :-) 
    Oh, Tokyo Station Basement has lots of cool shops, like a Ghibili store, Snoopy, Line, lots of cute merch shops.  They also have an ice cream place call Cremia.  This ice cream is made from Milk from Hokkaido, it tastes both dense and light and smooth all at once.  It is not cheap, like 500 yen and it was worth it when it was 125 yen to a £1 so get two now it's 200 yen to £1.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Other places for retro games is also places like Nakano Broadway, it's on the west side of the city, a few stops.

If you want to visit Ghibli Museum....the EASIEST way to get tickets is through Klook, otherwise it is a lottery through their terrible site, releases in batches.  Klook cost a fraction more and it includes a "walking tour" between the station to the Museum.  It's about £20 or something?

Not sure how mobile you are but if you can do it, Team Labs is great, there is also another Gundam in Odiba. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    If you want a rather surreal experience, try the Ginza Lion Bier Keller in Tokyo.  It's Japan's oldest beer hall (opened in 1934) and it's weird to see such obviously Germanesque surroundings filled with Japanese people (and the odd Brit) swilling beer from steins!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 9
    Other places for retro games is also places like Nakano Broadway, it's on the west side of the city, a few stops. 
    Oooo googles Nakano Broadway, sees pics of retro stuff, sees pics of nice cakes… that’ll be both of us happy, puts it on official Japlan list

it’s not far from hotel at all, and following the map also revealed a Don Quijote very near hotel.

The ghibli/gundam scene is not for us.
    edited July 9
    If you like Donojote, if you see a mega one call Mega Donki, go visit! It’s amazing!

Things you should know about Donki….

1 - I think it’s tax free when spent over 5000 yen, just need to show your passport
    2 - the til that serves customer who wants the tax deducted, are never the main one but a random on on like the 5th floor, because everyone is spending a minimum of 5000 yen, it takes a while to queue.
    3 - because of point above, I do my Donki shopping haul at like midnight, because they often open 24hrs.
    4 - Careful where you walk…if there is a curtain, there’s usually sex toys or adult material behind that area. This apply to lots of shops in Akihabara too.  Oh….the adult sections are usually the top floor or the basement.  

Completely random, remember to carry your passport with you at all times, not just for tax free shopping but it is the law.  
    Great info on the passport @RaymondLin ;

have you ever been Shinjuku Golden Gai? It’s not far from hotel and looks like a place I’d like to go but have read about lots of the bars are locals only and tourists should have a guide so you know which bars you can go. 

I think the only thing Tokyo doesn’t have compared to Korea, Thailand, China that I would like to experience are night markets. 
    edited July 9
    Great info on the passport @RaymondLin ;;;

have you ever been Shinjuku Golden Gai? It’s not far from hotel and looks like a place I’d like to go but have read about lots of the bars are locals only and tourists should have a guide so you know which bars you can go. 

I think the only thing Tokyo doesn’t have compared to Korea, Thailand, China that I would like to experience are night markets. 
    I’ve walked by Golden Gai and the adjacent Omoide Yokocho but never sat down in them because I’m not a big drinker.  I do know some of them don’t like foreigners not because they are foreigners but because they don’t speak English.  If you are white and fluent in Japanese, stick your head in and ask in perfect Japanese then 99% you’ll be fine.  Otherwise there might be the odd one that will say “sorry we are full” when it’s empty. 

Be aware there is a cover charge per person in most bars (anything from 500yen to a few thousand yen), you get some snacks with the money.  Instead of tips, this is what they do.  You don’t need to tip the barman, if you want to tip them, buy them a drink instead.  They would happy to accept that but not tips.

As for night markets, no, the only night outdoor markets are the Yata stalls down in Fukuoka which are slowly dying too.

Speaking of street food, it is BAD etiquette to walk and eat, don’t do that.  First, there are no bins in the streets and 2nd you will get looks, 3rd you might end up bumping against someone.  If you get some food at street front stall, you will see signs by the stall to tell you eat at a designated area. 
    Yeah I’ve been reading a good etiquette guide. 

One sad thing is I probably won’t be able to Onsen cos I have tattoos although I have read some are tatt friendly.
    We did a great walking/drinking food tour around Shinjuku and golden gai a few years ago. I’d highly recommend that sort of thing if you’re keen on that. As a white guy without fluent Japanese that sort of thing will get you much more access to interesting places. 

Yeah I’ve been reading a good etiquette guide. 

One sad thing is I probably won’t be able to Onsen cos I have tattoos although I have read some are tatt friendly.
    Yeah there are definitely some more open than the really trad ones - def worth googling 
    edited July 9
    Japan etiquette mostly are quite easy, it can be sum up with 1 word - consideration. 

Consider how and what you are doing have an impact to others.  If you think people can hear, or will have to move, or change their behaviour as a result of your action, or clean up your mess, don’t do it.

of course there are lots of hidden ones too and that’s where the fun is, shoes off, chopsticks etiquette are the famous ones.  Not blowing your nose is another.  Person nearest to the lift buttons presses all the buttons is one (if you are a salaryman at work), the correct side of the escalator, don’t wear deodorant (wear non-perfume ones instead)…etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @RaymondLin now I’m gonna stop watching tube vids soon as I want to explore and find shops..

but I did watch one today, recent walkabout showing the new Harajuku building, there is one on one corner and they have built a new one on the opposite corner almost mirroring just one is more modern looking.. it looks superb..

anyways to the question, if I’m on a decent legs day and went to Shibuya with the mindset of walking to Shinjuku, is there something to see and do from one end to the other??

also they are installing a new fountain structure in Yoyogi Park… I’m hoping it’s complete by December as the pics of it look amazing.

also, what is you’re preferred payment for metro?

Ta