Eastman acoustics

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
Ok - I need an acoustic and going around in circles deciding what to buy. 

I've had some really nice acoustics over the years; Collings, Lowden, Natioanl and multiple Martins, but they're always the first thing to get sold on when I need the cash for something else since I don't actually play all that much acoustic. 

Given that my standards have now been raised by owning the above, would I be satisfied with an Eastman such as this?  https://www.peachguitars.com/eastman-thermo-cure-series-e10ss-tc-sunburst-thermo-cure.htm

They look great but don't sound amazing in any of the demos on youtube that I've seen - But then it's impossible to judge the sound feel of an acoustic on youtube on my laptop.  

What do you reckon, take a punt on the Eastman or pony up the cash for a Martin / Gibson ........ ? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 527
    I am in the same situation.  Don’t play much steel string acoustic (well any tbh) but I know if I got something uninspiring it would sit there til I moved it on.  Atkin is on my radar as a good middle ground vs say Collings. But honestly I may be better off with an Eastman.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7943
    edited July 9
    I've played Eastman d28s & J45s nicer than 80% of comparable Martins & Gibsons in the next price range up. If I were to buy again in the midrange I'd buy Eastman or an Atkin.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    I haven’t played that specific model but did a trawl of all the J45-types I could find in London back in May. My second favourite was a very similar Eastman - that one was red with a French polish finish, which I don’t think this one has, but this has the thermally treat too which I’m guessing would be a good trade off.

The best was an Atkin, but the Eastman was a nicer instrument than a lot of Gibsons costing up to 4x as much. I really adored the sound of the Atkin but that was 2.5x the price 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1109
    edited July 9 tFB Trader
    I have the E10SS. It’s every bit as good as my Hummingbird. 

I bought it for £500 off eBay because I didn’t want to gig the Hummingbird. I now worry about the Eastman. If I lost it I would buy a replacement straight away 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 255
    I was picking up my Lowden from GG after a setup last week, but there was a chap discussing the repair of his electric with snapped headstock with the Tech.

So hanging about, I picked up an Eastman (think it was a 00 size) as I know lots here rate them, and I've seen the Paul Davids episode where he runs through lots of Eastman's with their head man in Netherlands.

It was a decent guitar, but out of interest I picked up a used Lowden they had just taken in, and I have to say that for me, the Lowden was in a different league to the Eastman.
    Not a fair comparison, the Eastman was £1.2k - £1.5k new, the used Lowden was £2.7k.
    After hearing them, whether the difference was worth the extra wonga would be a decision for the individual. Of course the Lowden had been well played in, whilst the Eastman was new.

It could be that you'd be happy with the Eastman, especially if it's your only acoustic. However, you've had other high-end makes in the past....
    You know what's coming next: Try a couple side by side before committing yourself.
    Best of luck with your decision!
     :)

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
    Thanks for the comments - Yeh, definitely very tempted to give the Eastman a go.  At least I wouldn't lose quite as much if I end up selling.  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    There's a lovely Furch in the classifieds.

Just sayin' :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned an Eastman E10 00 for a while and it was very good. Excellent value for money, I got it in a trade and sold it to a friend who is delighted with it. There's one in the classifieds at the moment.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    edited July 19
    Yesterday I received an E1SS ordered online here in the US. I've previously owned an E8D, an OM20TC, an Ltd. 00 12 fret, and an E2OM. They were all well made and good-sounding guitars.

The appeal of the E1SS was the depth of a dread but the short-scale comfort of 24.75, plus a narrower nut width of 1 11/16, and, of course, cost. I'm delighted with it so far - lovely deep, rich sound but with a nice shimmer on the trebles, which is very important for me.

Highly recommended! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 365
    edited July 23
    @Fishboy7I've played that model and loved it. Looks like a J45 but sounds more like a good D18. If you don't play acoustic much but want a decent one for not too much money, I'd get it like a shot. I have an HD28-style Eastman which is excellent and holds its own against an average HD28; it's obviously not up there with Collings etc, but why spring for one of those if you're not going to play it very much? 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    edited July 24
    Timcito said:
    Yesterday I received an E1SS ordered online here in the US. I've previously owned an E8D, an OM20TC, an Ltd. 00 12 fret, and an E2OM. They were all well made and good-sounding guitars.

The appeal of the E1SS was the depth of a dread but the short-scale comfort of 24.75, plus a narrower nut width of 1 11/16, and, of course, cost. I'm delighted with it so far - lovely deep, rich sound but with a nice shimmer on the trebles, which is very important for me.

Highly recommended! 
    I've had it for nearly a week now, and it's a truly wonderful guitar. I can't remember being more pleased with any acoustic I've ever bought, and all for the princely sum of $600 brand new (about 525 in UK Sterling).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom