equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6307
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1639
    She was. She put up with Kubrick! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19799
    Sad indeed. Hugely talented actor who apart from Kubrick's treatment, latterly suffered from some personal emotional demons.
    RIP Olive Oyl 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Sad news. When I’ve watched The Shining (it’s a favourite of MrsTheWeary) the thing that always strikes me about it is her performance which is nuanced and not hysterical and it is what makes it work. 
    RIP
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    Sad news. When I’ve watched The Shining (it’s a favourite of MrsTheWeary) the thing that always strikes me about it is her performance which is nuanced and not hysterical and it is what makes it work. 
    RIP
    She does get quite hysterical!  But yes, it's a great performance and one of my absolute favourite films, despite the fact that Stephen King hates it, and I'm generally not overly fond of Jack Nicholson.

Sad news indeed.  RIP.

Incidentally, although the stories of her being traumatised by working with Kubrick are often repeated, that's not exactly what she said in a number of interviews.

The Shining was indeed a grueling shoot for Duvall, who said the role required her to cry 12 hours a day, five or six days a week for nine months straight. “Going through day after day of excruciating work. Almost unbearable,” she told Roger Ebert in 1980. “But from other points of view, really very nice, I suppose,” she added.

It was widely reported that the director had traumatized the actor during filming in order to elicit her performance and that the pair often argued on set. “If it hadn’t been for the volley of ideas and butting heads together it wouldn’t have come out as good as it did,” Duvall told Kubrick’s assistant Leon Vitali in 1979.

“At the end of the day, we knew that it was for the purpose of enhancing the performance. There were no grudges.”

In a 2021 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Duvall was asked whether she felt Kubrick had been unusually cruel or abusive to her as has been reported. “He’s got that streak in him,” she admitted. “He definitely has that. But I think mostly because people have been that way to him at some time in the past.

“He was very warm and friendly to me,” she added. “He spent a lot of time with Jack and me. He just wanted to sit down and talk for hours while the crew waited. And the crew would say, ‘Stanley, we have about 60 people waiting.’ But it was very important work.”

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Philly_Q said:
    RIP
    She does get quite hysterical! 
    Well yes, I just meant there is a lot more to her performance than that part of it. 
    I’m not sure I’ve seen most of what she was in, from the Independent list probably only Annie Hall. Obviously I’ve missed some fine stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    No, I haven't seen many of her films either - just the ones from that late '70s to mid '80s period.