Marshall Guv'nor Mk1 - Help Needed

What's Hot
Stripe59Stripe59 Frets: 0
in FX
Evening all.  I've stuck this in the FX section as it appears to be only this pedal that does it via my amp.  I have tried this with both the latest reissue Marshall Guv'nor Mk1 and an original, and I have the same problem.  

If I use it via my Laney Super Cub12R and neck humbucker on a Les Paul, it sounds fine until I hit the Low E and A strings, and then it sounds a bit poppy/flabby.  The weird thing is, if I engage the boost on the Laney amp, it seems to remedy it.  Anyone know why it doesn't sound right using the amp without the amp boost engaged?  

For reference I've tried all sorts of amp and pedal settings but mainly play most dials around 12 o'clock and it's the same in both 15w mode and 1w mode.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like engaging the boost also cuts the bass a bit and removes the flub. Try dialling the bass down on either/both the Guvnor and amp.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4862
    edited July 16
    The speaker is clearly having a problem coping with the frequencies produced by the pedal. Not all amps 'like' all pedals and the Mk1 Guvnr is quite an ideosyncratic pedal. It can work well with a valve Marshall amp especially heads through a 4x12 or 2x12 cab, but can sound less convincing and even flubby through a 1x12.

Some options to consider:

1. A speaker change eg Celestion Creamback or Nyodymium Creamback, or possibly a Vintage 30 or Classic Lead 80. Speaker changes can however be an expensive option, and you cant know if you'll like the result or if it will solve the issue until you've taken the plunge. 

2. A BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser or a 7 band EQ after the Guvnr or, which might even provide better results, in the fxoop of the Cub. 

A Behringer EQ700 is inexpensive and will give you far better control frequency range than just relying on your Cubs or Guvnrs EQ. An EQ is actually a guitarists best friend and IMO the most important pedal on any pedal board, to shape tone and can often avoid any need to change speakers.  Placing an EQ in front of the amp can add gain whereas in the fx loop it will be clean. Try both positions to see which you prefer. A 'w' shape on the sliders is often a good starting point.  Small adjustments in each frequency range can make a huge difference.

A BBESSM works differently to a conventional EQ but can also tighten up frequencies and help your amp deliver a clearer tone. As for the EQ, it's often best placed in the fx loop. And a BBESSM and EQ can work really well together where the BBESSM is last in the signal chain.

3. The Guvnr Mk1 might simply not be a good fit for your amp, and another pedal, eg the Guvnr Plus GV2, might be a better fit with your amp.  I tried a Mk1 with my amps and had mixed results with it. It sounded quite good with my Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (upgraded with a Celestion Classic Lead 80) but it didn't sound as good through my Laney VC30-210 with GS112 extn cab, or my Cub 12R Mk1 upgraded with a vintage 30.  I returned it and went back to my Marshall Guvnr Plus GV2. 

The GV2 sounded way better, bigger and tighter with all my amps and IMO is arguably one of the best 'Marshall in a box' pedals around for not much money. Built like a tank, it has a 'deep' control in addition to its normal EQ that really helps it sound big. 

Hope this is helpful. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1004
    Sounds like engaging the boost also cuts the bass a bit and removes the flub. Try dialling the bass down on either/both the Guvnor and amp.
    This is the correct answer. I used a Guv'nor as a boost in my bass for the outro to The Chain and stopped when I realised I lost my bottom end (I started.using an EQ pedal to accentuate mids instead).

I had a 4 x 10 cabinet with a defective speaker. The cone seemed to have started to come away and was "farting". I was able to glue it back and solved the problem
  • Stripe59Stripe59 Frets: 0
    Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. The amp bass is already low but I’ll definitely try an EQ to see if that helps. The Behringer sounds like a good shout to start with. 

I really wouldn’t know what speaker change would work for me at this stage. Again I suppose it’s all a matter of taste but expensive trial & error. 

Much appreciated