TONEX Pedal or TONEX One?

What's Hot
Taking price and size out of the equation, is there anything to be gained by buying a TONEX One over a TONEX Pedal?

The full fat Pedal looks to be easier to use, and gives a 3-channel setup over the One's 2-channel.
Am I missing something obvious about the One?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    edited July 13
    No midi switching, no USB, no stereo out, no headphone out.
    You can't bypass it if you are using it as a 2 channel device.

I've got the big one, it is excellent.
    I use it for a single amp model (Matchless) and as an acoustic preamp.

If the One had midi then I could switch between them remotely and I'd replace the larger one, but it doesn't.

The One's main advantage is it is tiny.
    I'd prefer if it was the size of a Boss pedal (Or Kemper Player) but had midi and the ability to switch patches.
    I wish either/both of them had an FX loop and a DI out.

I don't think these will be the last Tonex products though.

I might replace the Tonex with a Kemper Player on my board at some stage.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    So form factor really is the USP? Well, that and the price. 
    I agree with you @octatonic that it's actually maybe too small and that a regular pedal size would potentially give it more features.
    I also agree that there will probably be a mkii version of at least the full size Pedal with an effects loop and maybe a different display. 
    I'm almost sold on the full Pedal idea
    edited July 14
    Tbh I don't think I could live with my minimalist controls on the One. Clever, yes. Practical for me? Probably no. 
    I like knobs and switches and I'd rather cycle through the banks with footswitches rather than having to bend down and press a series of buttons and guess the menu. 

DiscoStu said:
    Tbh I didn't think I could live with my minimalist controls on the One. Clever, yes. Practical for me? Probably no. 
    I like knobs and switches and I'd rather cycle through the banks with footswitches rather than having to bend down and press a serious of buttons and guess the menu. 

If they put a full midi spec on it then it would be so much more useful.
    edited July 13
    octatonic said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Tbh I didn't think I could live with my minimalist controls on the One. Clever, yes. Practical for me? Probably no. 
    I like knobs and switches and I'd rather cycle through the banks with footswitches rather than having to bend down and press a serious of buttons and guess the menu. 

So you could switch between all the presets with an external footswitch? Yeah that would make it much better. But then that's more real estate so why not just get the full Pedal?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    octatonic said:
    No midi switching, no USB, no stereo out, no headphone out.
    You can't bypass it if you are using it as a 2 channel device.

I've got the big one, it is excellent.
    I use it for a single amp model (Matchless) and as an acoustic preamp.

If the One had midi then I could switch between them remotely and I'd replace the larger one, but it doesn't.

The One's main advantage is it is tiny.
    I'd prefer if it was the size of a Boss pedal (Or Kemper Player) but had midi and the ability to switch patches.
    I wish either/both of them had an FX loop and a DI out.

I don't think these will be the last Tonex products though.

I might replace the Tonex with a Kemper Player on my board at some stage.

Do you think that the kemper player amp sounds will be better?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    DiscoStu said:
    Taking price and size out of the equation, is there anything to be gained by buying a TONEX One over a TONEX Pedal?

The full fat Pedal looks to be easier to use, and gives a 3-channel setup over the One's 2-channel.
    Am I missing something obvious about the One?
    If you remove price and size, then, for me, there are no advantages to the Tonex One, only downsides. 

I'm running the Tonex Pedal, using MIDI to select presets.

I'm not using the Tonex software any more than I have to - backing up my Pedal, mainly. The controls on the Pedal make it  practical to tweak and save presets without the software. I've stopped trying to fine tune captures and presets on the computer and then porting them to the Pedal. It never sounds the same - too many environmental variables.

I've stopped using the Tonex plugin in my DAW. It's easier for me to just record guitars by sending my signal from the pedalboard into the mixer.  I auditioned tone models and presets on the Pedal itself, using an FRFR in the room. If I'm going direct I just add a bit of room ambience in the mixer and it's fine.

The tuner on the Pedal is decent and I've dropped a TU-3 from my board as a result. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3373
    edited July 14
    Excuse me if im being a doofus but I really like the S-Gear/Scuffham amp plug-ins. Would I be able to load them into either of the Tonex pedals and access them for live use?

I know there’s a Tonex library (Tonenet) but in a Pete Thorn vid for Tonex One, he mentioned using his own captures. The Scuffham stuff just sounds excellent and so it would be great to be able to access that.
    I'm after a lightweight replacement for my Blackstar HT Stage 60 (it's nearly 30kg) which is 3 channel so ideally I want at least the same so I've got instant access to clean/od/hi-gain and the Tonex pedal would do that and so much more. For my needs I don't see any benefit in the One.
    Can't deny it's a great achievement though!
    DiscoStu said:
    octatonic said:
    DiscoStu said:

So you could switch between all the presets with an external footswitch? Yeah that would make it much better. But then that's more real estate so why not just get the full Pedal?

I already have it- a Gigrig G3S.
    I don't need or use the switching on the Tonex.
    I want to do everything from the G3S.

If the small one had midi then I could use a smaller pedal to do that.
    If I used the smaller pedal now I'd have to remember to switch between the two sounds in addition to changing patches on the G3S.
    adamino said:

Yes I think it will sound a bit better but not night and day.

• guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 610
    Kebabkid said:
    Excuse me if im being a doofus but I really like the S-Gear/Scuffham amp plug-ins. Would I be able to load them into either of the Tonex pedals and access them for live use?

I know there’s a Tonex library (Tonenet) but in a Pete Thorn vid for Tonex One, he mentioned using his own captures. The Scuffham stuff just sounds excellent and so it would be great to be able to access that.
    You’d be able to model/capture  them, no? Not toneX, but I watched an RJ ronquillo video where he captured a rockman sound from his DAW on his computer.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2008
    octatonic said:
    adamino said:

Yes I think it will sound a bit better but not night and day.

They'll sound different, not necessarily better. I've had a Kemper Stage and currently have a Tonex Pedal. I'm using it onto an Ox Stomp and I'm blown away by the sounds. The best thing about the Kemper Player is the effects in there.
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128

I am at loggerheads on whether I should buy a Tonex or the Kemper player.I have an HX FX that I Love.
    I currently play my Mercuriall through my laptop that outputs into my HX FX and then into my Origin Combo FX Return that I like too.Im wondering if the Tonex can pull off some good brown sounds and vintage Marshalls to play blues too.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27293
    edited July 15
    At least one guy's managed to control the Tonex ONE:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1399500400767319

...although he did it by sniffing the USB packets and then effectively implementing a conversion from MIDI to whatever custom protocol the ONE is using - it's definitely not MIDI-over-USB.

Note, however, that he's not just switching between the A/B amps - he switches between at least three profiles in that demo, so it can presumably use all the profiles loaded onto the device.
    <space for hire>
    I've bitten the bullet and ordered the full fat Pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 266
    adamino said:

I am at loggerheads on whether I should buy a Tonex or the Kemper player.I have an HX FX that I Love.
    I currently play my Mercuriall through my laptop that outputs into my HX FX and then into my Origin Combo FX Return that I like too.Im wondering if the Tonex can pull off some good brown sounds and vintage Marshalls to play blues too.
    If it’s any help - I recently bought a Tonex and once I got my head around the frankly rubbish software I’m extremely impressed with the sounds. I’ve never truly been happy with modellers but the tonex, once I found the right captures, is everything I wanted. For the price I reckon it’s a no brainer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom