What amp for uke / folk group

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 62
Hey all
Looking for suggestions for a amp to play bass for a folk group, at the moment we have 15 members but it's growing.

I saw a Roland d bass 210 locally for 100 quid, but I figure the 400 watts are overkill?  Admittedly I'm looking to keep it as cheap as possible (arnt we all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    No such thing as overkill on a solid state amp - they have good volume controls.

Those Rolands sound great, they are just a bit heavy compared to modern things.

But it's £100! If it's all working, get it anyway. That's a bargain.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Even better 100 euro ☺️
    Superb! If it's all working that's ace.

If you decide against it, please let me know where it is as I might have it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Obviously the thread after this, is what bass? Do u buy a uke bass? Or a abg, my only bass is a atk
    I've owned a Uke bass before and it was ok, but they are very quiet unless plugged in, so they are really for amplified use only when playing with other people.

Nothing wrong with an Ibanez ATK!

As for ABG - I've never owned one but I did really like the old Washburn models. They sounded excellent and played really well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grand I think this investment is going to be deffo cheap as chips
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    Zonular said:
    I figure the 400 watts are overkill?
    Not at all. 

400w RMS provides plenty of headroom, allowing you to keep your sound clean (unless you want dirt). The dedicated Piezo input, compressor and Super Flat mode should suit bass uke.

The one thing that you might want to add in the long term is the matching 1x15" extension loudspeaker cabinet.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Ack! Sellers gone unresponsive...

Any other suggestions guys?
    Hows the likes of the Warwick gnome / trace Elliot elf? I like the idea of ease of transport.

Any combos to be had on the cheap?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Avoid those Rolands - effectively unrepairable if they go wrong due to an incredibly stupid, shortsighted manufacturing decision.

If you don’t mind heavy, look for an old Trace Elliot BLX - even the 80W model has incredible projection in an acoustic context, it really fills a space. It’s not a ‘rock’ amp though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Funny, saw a blx80 doing the rounds too? Any guide on the price? How much is too much for a blx 80

I'm interested to hear what not a "rock" amp is? Any references for the tone?

edited July 20
    The other option nearby is a Laney RBW200 or a Peavey tnt 130.

Both under the 150 mark
    Zonular said:
    Funny, saw a blx80 doing the rounds too? Any guide on the price? How much is too much for a blx 80

I'm interested to hear what not a "rock" amp is? Any references for the tone?
    Probably over £200 is too much, even if in good condition, or over £250 for a BLX130.

The sound is quite unusual - it’s deep, clean and fills a space almost unidirectionally - ideal for jazz, acoustic music etc. It doesn't punch directly out in front of the amp and sounds too ‘polite’ for rock, if that makes sense. It’s done with acoustic porting with a complex cabinet construction a bit like a subwoofer, made from heavy MDF so it weighs a ton for something that size.

Zonular said:
    The other option nearby is a Laney RBW200 or a Peavey tnt 130.

Both under the 150 mark
    The Laney isn’t bad, but doesn’t have the quality of the Trace, either sound or build. The Peavey TNT is a fantastic, punchy and aggressive rock amp, but it’s also huge, awkward (just a single top handle, unless others have been fitted) and weighs as much as a medium-sized house… I would not recommend one if you have to move it, much as I love the sound and the bombproof build quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Moving is the hard part! In and out of a local pub for a uke night.

Zonular said:
    Moving is the hard part! In and out of a local pub for a uke night.
    Definitely don’t get the Peavey then - it’s hard to understate how much of a pain they are to shift… tall, bulky and very heavy, with just a single handle that’s too high up and too far away from you unless you’re a giant. I also do think it’s too aggressive-sounding for the job - perfect for me, but I play in a garage-punk band :) - and even I wouldn’t use one unless it’s already where I’ll be playing.

The Trace is at least fairly small, although still not light, and the right type of sound. The Laney would be a good second choice - the tilt-back cabinet does make it slightly awkward to carry, but it’s not that bad.

I should also probably mention - although you're very unlikely to come across one unfortunately, but if you do it may be cheap because they're not a very 'recognised bass amp' brand - I have an Ibanez Promethean combo, which is a 500W 1x10"... really! (Although only 250W into the internal speaker.) I've fitted mine with an upgraded neodymium speaker, and it weighs less than 30lb even in its little nylon gig bag/shoulder-carry case - but it's loud enough to keep up with a drummer. This is the first version, there's a later one which I think is 300W and not quite as good, but still ideal for what you need it for.

There are other very small, light and powerful modern amps too, but they tend to be more expensive because everyone wants a tiny amp that weighs nothing and can keep up with a band!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good shout, I'll keep an eye out although I won't hold my breath