What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1425
https://youtu.be/DV6Y1suPMZw?si=N7iJwnQVtt-dijAB

Well worth a watch. For me this is one of my favourite albums of all time
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    Third eye blind: three chord songs & auto tune, but don’t fit into Beato’s model of crap music?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    rsvmark said:

Rick Beato does Third Eye Blind

Well, he had to work out that frustration he was shouting at clouds about out somehow...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1425
    Third eye blind: three chord songs & auto tune, but don’t fit into Beato’s model of crap music?
    Don’t think so. Auto tune discussed in the video. Album released in Feb 1997. Google has autotune released Sept 97. So a bit close. Judging by Ricks enthusiasm and discussion, I don’t think he labels it as crap.

The comments also provide some observations in regard to non standard structures and arrangements so coming from RB, I am happy to accept his analysis as a reasonably informed educator.

At the end of the day I still think the album is great. But to be fair, I am no authority on them as I only have this album.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
    edited July 21
    Interesting guy with great recall. I don't know much about them, but they knew how to write a catchy melody. I think Third Eye Blind and the Goo Goo Dolls are a good representation of the the music from that era.

Beato would be all over the subtle counter-melody keyboard part that plays during the "never let you go" bits

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1660
    rsvmark said:

Rick Beato does Third Eye Blind

Well, he had to work out that frustration he was shouting at clouds about out somehow...

The long awaited sequel. We're not in Dallas anymore!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5103
    edited July 22
    Great debut album and the second album too, lost a lot when Stephan got lost in his own narcissistic bull and powerplayed Kevin Cadogan out of the band (who helped write a big chunk of their best songs and is a great melodic guitarist). It's telling that he barely mentions him, and just says "the guitarist". I watched the first bit where all he can talk about is himself and how great he made the band, when Kevin and Arion made it what it was. Listen to the No Guitar Is Safe podcast with Kevin on for the real story.

Kevin also took Stephan to court twice for unpaid royalties, and won too. 

I'll catch the rest when I can be arsed, they might be simple songs but the melodies and counter melodies are amazing. There's no auto tune on that first album, and it sounds great

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...