Variax Pod HD500 problems

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
My singer has been having intermittent problems with his set up.  
He is using a variax 700 and a pod hd500.    During one gig the volumes were jumping all over, very quiet then mega loud - seemed to be cured by powering off and on again.  Then the next week it did the same but also stopped recognising the guitar on the input list.  He tried changing cables but no difference,  then the 2nd time he turned off the power, it reappeared when he powered it up.

He's going to contact line6 this week but I wondered if anyone had come across anything similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4955
    Sounds like a possible software filepath glitch. Has he tried resetting back to factory? Like computers a "reboot" can often cure quirky behaviour with digital gear.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    edited October 2014
    There used to be an issue with the X3 Live in that small vibrations would cause the pots to register a movement occasionally.  It could be countered by turning the physical knobs (except the master volume) to zero and then using patches.  This sounds like something different though, but worth a try.  

Also, check the USB port. The center plastic "pin" is prone to breaking and falling out on the HD500.  Once that's missing, the copper pins can short causing weird behaviour.  The same goes for the Variax port, check that there's no damage to the pins on the HD500 or the Variax.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably better asking here: http://line6.com/support/forum/18-pod-hd/
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    Thanks chaps -  I'll pass on the full reset idea and have a look at the connections.

He's not very techie so I'll post something on the line6 forum and see if anyone there has had similar issues.
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    edited October 2014
    Just thinking back to when I had my Variax 300.  I managed to mangle the Variax port pins by accidentally jamming a 1/4" jack into it while fumbling around trying to plug it in.  Easily done if the little plastic cap gets lost, as mine did.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Also if the pots on the guitar wear, instead of it being 'heard' as a crackle the digital circuitry recognises it as a change and hence the jump up and down in volume (the audio does not pass through the pots, it's a voltage sending circuit).
    The other thing to check is that both the cable and the output socket (RJ45) are sound. Intermittency here can cause similar issues.
    Line6 can repair them for you, if wanted/needed. Or you may find an independent who can do it for you.
    Good luck
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.