Mythos Pedals - "Embrace the pop"?

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
edited July 21 in FX
Wondering what people make of Mythos pedals in general. I've seen them featured on big YouTube channels so must be doing alright. So I'm checking out their website and stumbled on the FAQ section and there's a dedicated section about their pedals popping (screenshot below). Seems to me like if there's a dedicated section for it on their FAQ, it must be a well known and widespread problem. 

Doesn't really fill me with confidence that they recommend users should just "embrace the pop". I'm not a pedal builder, so I don't know if there's a better way to improve these pedals so they don't pop at all. I've never seen this type of message from other boutique builders before and seems like a bit of a cop out. 

Is their honesty about this supposed to be appreciated, or is it not good enough from a builder whose pedals are in the higher price range? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429

Here is the section in question
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1579
    edited July 21
    Reminds me of ZVEX’s ‘crackle ok’ labels. I don’t think the pop is unavoidable with ‘old school’ 3PDT switches, and I believe even within that category there are cheaper and more expensive switches, which might minimise switching noise too. I don’t do PCB stuff myself but I guess no one wants to change a working PCB design because there’s a little pop? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    My Mythos pedal doesn't pop. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19798
    Definitely thought this one was going to be about Greek beer... dammit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Which one do you have? 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3403
    Pedal etiquette: stomp on a downbeat ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    soma1975 said:
    Which one do you have? 
    Argonaut
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5245
    Have a close listen to "Satisfaction". 

If it's good enough for Keef, it's good enough for you.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have a close listen to "Satisfaction". 

If it's good enough for Keef, it's good enough for you.
    Ha fair enough. I just thought that since those days this thing would've been improved on by now. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    "I have been hesitant to switch to a soft touch system ..."
    Why?  He makes no attempt to explain his "hesitancy".  Did he think it might have been too technical an explanation for customers and prospective customers to get their heads around?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    BillDL said:
    "I have been hesitant to switch to a soft touch system ..."
    Why?  He makes no attempt to explain his "hesitancy".  Did he think it might have been too technical an explanation for customers and prospective customers to get their heads around?
    It might genuinely be that he's worried half the customer base thinks you can only have true bypass with a click switch and only true bypass is good enough. It might be that he just doesn't want to make changes that add cost for no upfront benefit to (most) customers. 

I don't think I have strong enough feelings on this.

The one Mythos I've had was a BB-type (Daedalus?) and it was good, and he also offers useful little mod circuits like a variable treble bleed kit and mini Blaster preamp which is great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Well that's another pedal brand I can never buy, which saves me time and money, so it's all good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 697
    My Oracle delay has never popped.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3529
    ICBM said:
    Well that's another pedal brand I can never buy, which saves me time and money, so it's all good.
    Sorry to ask but why is this? I bought a cheap reverb pedal off AliExpress and it actually sounds fantastic but it has the loudest click and it's almost unusable. 
    edited July 22
    Sorry to ask but why is this? 
    Because Boss-type silent electronic switching exists. There is now no reason to ever buy a pedal* with a mechanical footswitch in the signal path. If you want cheap, Behringer and others make good pedals with that type of switching.

(*Other than vintage ones, if you like those.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3529
    ICBM said:
    Because Boss-type silent electronic switching exists. There is now no reason to ever buy a pedal* with a mechanical footswitch in the signal path. If you want cheap, Behringer and others make good pedals with that type of switching.

Thanks for the info @ICBM

I wish the Boss style switches were used more often, but even Boss have started using mechanical switches now for their higher priced units.
    ICBM said:

Thanks for the info @ICBM

I wish the Boss style switches were used more often, but even Boss have started using mechanical switches now for their higher priced units.
    This is true on their 200, 300, 500 and 1000 series pedals but they are not the same old-school switches that other pedal builders use.  They more like soft-switches.  And also Boss only use these on their digital pedals, which won't have that popping phenomenon that analog pedals can have.  Happy to be corrected on that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 311
    Is it worth pointing out that I think Mythos are talking about the amplified 'pop/explosion' sound, not the actual mechanical click of the switch?

I've had a couple of pedals that have done that (popped), and I've eventually moved them on. I've also got pedals that have extremely clunky switches that have a loud click (but not a 'pop' sound through the amp). Here's looking at you Deluxe Memory Man, and DOD Looking Glass!
    nonesuch said:
    Is it worth pointing out that I think Mythos are talking about the amplified 'pop/explosion' sound, not the actual mechanical click of the switch?

I've had a couple of pedals that have done that (popped), and I've eventually moved them on. I've also got pedals that have extremely clunky switches that have a loud click (but not a 'pop' sound through the amp). Here's looking at you Deluxe Memory Man, and DOD Looking Glass!

Good point.  I just assumed earwighoney was referring to the pop sound but just referred to them as "clicks".  Didn't occur to me that he might have been referring to the actual mechanical sound a switch makes.

I'm with you on your 2nd paragraph.  I can live with them or maybe wouldn't even notice them at bedroom level.   But at gig volume level they'd render the pedal useless to me.  Would hurt even more if that pedal cost me £250!  

This is true on their 200, 300, 500 and 1000 series pedals but they are not the same old-school switches that other pedal builders use.  They more like soft-switches.  And also Boss only use these on their digital pedals, which won't have that popping phenomenon that analog pedals can have.  Happy to be corrected on that.
    That’s true, but it still pisses me off that they’ve decided to ape the inferior mechanical switches rather than stick to their own large treadle type. I don’t like the way the metal switches feel in use either.