car insurance quotes

What's Hot

getting some quotes for the missus with the  cars she is considering, all are pay monthly comp with 0 vol and £100 compulsory excess

2001 Peugeot 206 2.0l GTi = £445

2003 Kia Sportage 2.0l 4x4 = £410

2002 Renault Clio 1.2 = £365

why is the Clio so expensive??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Maybe it's expensive to repair, or perhaps it's got a track record of being involved in accidents?

• Maybe it's expensive to repair, or perhaps it's got a track record of being involved in accidents?
    would that effect a quote then the car being involved in accidents? thought that would be a driver thing..
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    I'd say it's a case of the others being cheap. £300 is about the min I would expect for a car insurance annual premium...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    I'm thinking that insurance companies work on risk. Higher risk of a particular make and model being involved in an accident might bump it up? I'm just surmising, though.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Risk of theft, and cost of replacement parts add to the cost.

That and insurance companies pull a figure out of thin air for the quote.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    strumjoughlamps said:

Did you type it wrong, or isn't the Clio the cheapest?

Smaller engine means lower top speed than the Peugeot so less likely to be involved in a crash, and lower weight means less it does less damage than the Kia when it hits something. That's all the insurance is based on really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    strumjoughlamps said:

Did you type it wrong, or isn't the Clio the cheapest?

Smaller engine means lower top speed than the Peugeot so less likely to be involved in a crash, and lower weight means less it does less damage than the Kia when it hits something. That's all the insurance is based on really.

yeah all typed correct, I was just expecting a lower quote for such a car. I am now just about to get a quote for a Merc A160.. I fear the worse.

Be cheaper to get rid of the missus.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

Is it low mileage, or worthless?  These things help bring down my premium on the car, as I mainly use the truck.

Or if you are feeling really stupid, insure it in your name, if you have more no claims.....but prepare to lose them.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    It's odd that a 1.2l Clio is less than £100 cheaper than a 2.0l GTi 206.

But, it may well reflect that the Clio is/was a favourite car for the 18yo male who used them as a starting point for modding with multi-gigawatt stereo systems, underfloor neon lighting, cheapo-cheap alloy wheels, and fat exhausts ... hence the model got a bad rep with insurers in its own right, no matter who it was insured for.

Co-incidentally, my insurance renewal just dropped through the letterbox.  2013 Mercedes E350 CDi coupe.  With business use.  Me & Mrs TT.  Anyone want to guess at the price???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • all sorted, not first choice but cheap as chips.. Peugeot 106 XL Zest auto 11 months MOT 42658 genuine miles in decent enough order all of the history in a nice neat wallet.....£200 quid :)

6 months tax £79

insurance £320 and that is for the wife and me

who knows how long it will last, but I will get £100 scrap so worth the punt.

yeah more money for GAS/GAMES/CAMERAS :) :)

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    12 months fully comp. on a 2003 1.2 Corsa for me and the missus is around £170 - the advantage of being old :)

I remember a few years ago renewing my ins. and because it was cheaper to leave my ex-missus on I did, despite the fact we'd split up - I kept her on for a couple of years after that :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited October 2014
    Suzuki Alto 1.1 GL.  200 quid 8 years no claims, £30 tax, last year it was 20. Like a tardis that thing, but takes a bit of human origami getting out of it, Still not as cheap to tax as some more modern cars, which I don't understand as it does an actual 75mpg combined, emissions I guess and why it isn't the cheapest to insure I can't get.
    TTony said:

Co-incidentally, my insurance renewal just dropped through the letterbox.  2013 Mercedes E350 CDi coupe.  With business use.  Me & Mrs TT.  Anyone want to guess at the price???
    1200?
    Sambostar said:

Suzuki Alto 1.1 GL.  200 quid 8 years no claims, £30 tax, last year it was 20. Like a tardis that thing, but takes a bit of human origami getting out of it, Still not as cheap to tax as some more modern cars, which I don't understand as it does an actual 75mpg combined, emissions I guess and why it isn't the cheapest to insure I can't get.
    They're probably involved in a fair number of accidents due to being driven by elderly people who pull out into traffic without looking and going 20mph slower than they should be, so they get rear-ended.

This seems to be an unfortunate characteristic of several Suzuki models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2014

I disagree.  From my personal experience, the accidents are mainly caused by Audi and Merc drivers who overtake the Suzuki's, because, obviously....obviously....wherever they are, they assume that they must be travelling at 30mph under the speed limit, as you say.

They are actually quite nippy with a single person in them 16v engine, light as a feather and actually quite a rare sight on the roads.  But like I say, the number of dangerous overtaking manoeuvres people have attempted whilst I've been at the national speed limit + 10%, because they won't be outdone by an inferior car has been shocking, also have the number of incidents on the motorway, where I've actually had to pull over on to the hard shoulder to evade a collision because Merc and Audi's driven by superior types, usually elderly retired corporate types with money, who have just pulled over, whilst PARALLEL with me, without even checking to see if they have passed me (And yeah I do a constant 73mph) is completely shocking.

Bring it on anyway, those pricks couldn't take a beating in the real world, they have to hide behind their fancy metalwork.  Never had anyone cut me up once they had seen who was driving.

So I really think it is other drivers preconceptions and bruised ego's that is the problem, nothing to do with the car or it's drivers.

Let's see how much TTony's insurance renewal is quoted as, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I get very defensive about my car, not only because I look like a complete dick in it, but because of how other road users treat me driving it.  It's a like driving in a completely different country when I'm in the Alto, the stunts people pull. Where as I get in a saloon, a space wagon or the transit and I'm back in the UK again.  You can't knock it till you've experienced it.  Small car bruised ego, small penis syndrome.

I was driving a Mazda 5 Sport the other day, no one tailgating me, no one overtaking stupidly, people treating me with respect, then I get in the Alto again and drive exactly the same way, at exactly the same speeds and people are on my rear bumper, overtaking on blind bends, pulling in on me on motorways, you name it.  Stupid c**ts should have their balls hacked off with a rusty machete.  The worse thing about it, is that they overtake recklessly, and then I am having to slow down for them,  the stupid brainless cockfuckers.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3166
    You sound just like me. I drive a Fiat Punto which is much nippier than people think. I'm always the first one in front when pulling away from traffic lights and it's always Audi and merc drivers who put their foot down to make sure they're the ones in front.

I've had a lot of people tail gate me in the slow lane at 70 too. Best thing to do is slow down or tap the brakes, they usually back off.
  • Tt , I would say £150. That is what I pay for a Audi A3 170 hp Quattro sport.
    Insurance companies are not so bothered about the damage to cars,it is the damage to people that really costs them.
    When looking for insurance fir new young drivers cars with 4 seats seemed cheaper than 5.
    What I found interesting when looking for young driver insurance is that similar models , one new and another 12 years old , not much difference in premium.
    Sambostar said:

I disagree.  From my personal experience, the accidents are mainly caused by Audi and Merc drivers who overtake the Suzuki's, because, obviously....obviously....wherever they are, they assume that they must be travelling at 30mph under the speed limit, as you say.

They are actually quite nippy with a single person in them 16v engine, light as a feather and actually quite a rare sight on the roads.

I get very defensive about my car, not only because I look like a complete dick in it, but because of how other road users treat me driving it.  It's a like driving in a completely different country when I'm in the Alto, the stunts people pull. Where as I get in a saloon, a space wagon or the transit and I'm back in the UK again.  You can't knock it till you've experienced it.  Small car bruised ego, small penis syndrome.

I don't disagree about Suzukis being nippy if you drive them properly - my wife has a 1.5l Ignis 4WD, which will really go if you give it some stick, and I like driving it too - but it's an unfortunate fact that a lot of the smaller models are driven by pensioners with a lack of road awareness and an exaggerated sense of their own speed… so I don't think it's that unlikely that they have a higher rate of rear-ending accidents, even if those are actually the *fault* of the driver behind who failed to be aware of them.

I've also been overtaken by twats in Audis and Mercs when driving the Ignis, even when going at the speed limit - presumably just because it's a Suzuki. But then some twat in an Audi tried to overtake me on the inside as I was moving back into the left lane in my Renault Scenic last week, and then tried to intimidate me by tailgating me with his headlights on full beam. So it probably says more about Audis than Suzukis :).

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    edited October 2014
    I witness twat driving in Audis, Mercs, Fords, Vauxhalls, Suzukis, Hondas and just about every type of car on the road - do you see the theme?

Twats are able to purchase any brand.

I also see lots of twats in Saxos, Corsas, small Pugs etc. Usually young lads...

Obviously living in Birmingham there is a large Asian community - sweeping statement but they probably have one licence per family, absolute refusal to wear sears belts (even their kids aren't secured) no awareness of speed and lane discipline. Of course there are exceptions that would take road safety seriously and I joke a little but I see a lot of it going on. Trust me.

Personally I drive an old Merc estate and insurance wise even though I'm nearer 40 than 30 and have over 18 years NCB I still struggle to get insurance for less than £500 and my excesses total £350.

But other things come into play - shit postcode and class 1 business use adds a few quid.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom