SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS MJW Goldstar Twin amplifier head £350

What's Hot
Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 191
edited July 24 in Amps £
MJW Goldstar Twin amplifier head.
the quality of a hand wired MJW Needs no introduction on here of course.

Lovely clean and tidy MJW Goldstar Twin amplifier head, with effects loop and power scaling

Purchased this earlier this year but have not used it very much, also a head became available that I could not say no to, so this is on the block

From the archived version of the MJW website:

The clean channel is based on the classic 'Blackface' circuit, so it has the chime and clean headroom that those amps are famous for, but will still crunch up at the top end for snarling country and blues. The overdrive channel has 4 gain stages, and takes over where the clean left off, going through a classic 70s crunch, all the way up to a full-bodied rock roar with plenty of sustain and harmonics.

Valves: 3 ECC83s and 1 6L6 (10 watt)
2 channels clean and overdrive. Each has its own EQ.
There is a switch on the back to select each Channel or there is an input for a footswitch (not included)
Effects loop
Power scaling knob on back
speaker inputs for 8ohm or 16ohm but you can only use one of these at a time.

offered for sale on here initially from when it came at the same fretboard price of £350 (was £890 new base price without adding effects loop/power scaling options)

Cup of tea awaits in Nottingham, or could meet within an hours drive

From archive of MJW Site:

The MJW Twin is a two-channel preamp, mated to the Goldstar, Roadstar or Electra power amps, giving you a choice of 10, 18, 30 or 50 Watts. Each channel has its own 3-band EQ, so it can be set up optimally. 

The clean channel is based on the classic 'Blackface' circuit, so it has the chime and clean headroom that those amps are famous for, but will still crunch up at the top end for snarling country and blues.

The overdrive channel has 4 gain stages, and takes over where the clean left off, going through a classic 70s crunch, all the way up to a full-bodied rock roar with plenty of sustain and harmonics.

All-in-all, this is an ideal package for the pub/club guitarist who wants the flexibility of another channel, in a light and compact amp.

Main features
Output: 10-50 Watts
All valve: Yes
Valves: 3 ECC83s and either 1 6L6 (Goldstar Twin), 2 6V6s (Roadstar Twin) or 2 6L6s (Electra Twin)
Controls: (Clean) Volume, 3-Band EQ (Overdrive) Gain, volume, 3-band EQ

Size: 53cm (w) x 21cm (d) x 24-26cm (h)

Options
Power Scaling, Effects loop, digital reverb, valve/spring reverb, Roqsolid cover

Goldstar Twin Head: £890 

Using hand-wired, turret board construction methods, the amp is available as a head, or a 1x10 or 1x12 combo.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
    Wattage?
    Is mail an option?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    edited July 22
    I’d suspect is class A, about 12-15w

interested in any trades?
  • Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 191
    Many thanks @paulnb57 ;
    My understanding from previous sales is that it is 10w

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/157264/

Hopefully previous owners might be able to chime in

I have had a few single 6l6 amps and when they were measured , they came in at 12w as @TheMarlin kindly suggested but I haven’t had this goldstar measured

Apologies at this point not keen on postage and would like to try and get the hard cash initially as opposed to trades at this point
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4803
    Is the powerscaling variable from 0 - 10 as it were, on in pre-set stages?  And does it work?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hi @rlw ;
    powerscaling definitely does work 
    My experience is that it is variable across range not just a few preset intervals 
    again I will hope previous owners will chime in regards this with their experience which is likely to be longer than mine 
    to be brutally honest I never used it much past about 10% and sometimes not at all as the MV did all I needed 
    partly why I prefer collecting so buyer can test all these things out to their satisfaction 
    cheers
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 237
    rlw said:
    Is the powerscaling variable from 0 - 10 as it were, on in pre-set stages?  And does it work?
    My MJW has the same power scaling and it’s not pre set stages. Turning up full turns it off. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1475
    I had this amp before Martin, power scaling is really good, particulary on the clean channel, gets a really nice blackface breakup at whisper volumes (treble up high, bass down low). Can also get quite tweedy sounding if you have the bass set higher.

The drive channel with the amp turned up loud is superb, powerful EQ so covers a lot ground, from clean to sharp searing leads. Superb amp.
    TTT for handwired amp goodness