Linear or Audio pots for 2V, 2T control layout? Do you mix and match?

What's Hot
Need to buy some medium to long shafted pots for a t-type build with a LP control layout. The body is made from mahogany with a thick maple cap hence the need for longer than standard shafted pots.

Question is, do you normally go all out Audio or Linear, or do you mix and match - ie 2 x Audio for volume and 2 x Linear for tone or vice versa?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Never use linear for tones unless you want them to operate only in the bottom quarter turn.

I have no strong preference for the volumes, because you can adjust the taper of log pots to be closer to linear if you prefer, with a resistor/cap network that also retains treble better. I don't like '50s' wiring for two-volume guitars. (Actually I don't really like two-volume guitars, but that's another problem!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    I use audio (logarithmic) taper for both volume and tone control applications.

YMMV
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2617
    That's what I usually go with ^^
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom