Calculating pickup positions on different scale instruments?

What's Hot
I have a pretty much unused Ibanez Mezzo 32inch scale bass. 
It's quite nice but a bit heavy for me so I'm going to use it as a test bed / learning tool for mucking about with modifications.

I want to install a MM Stingray type pickup in it. I can get measurements from a 34 scale 'ray - so what is the most accurate way of calculating the right position for a 32 inch scale?

Is it as simple as working out a percentage of the total scale length, or is there something else?

It won't be pretty - this will be hand chisels and a Wish level off brand dremel type thing! :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540

Is it as simple as working out a percentage of the total scale length
    Yes - measure the distance from the bridge saddles (the G is closest to the true scale length) to the middle of the pickup on the Stingray, and divide by 34". Multiply the result by 32" and that will give you the distance from the G saddle to the middle of the pickup on the new bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Lovely!

I've managed to score an Aguilar MM pickup for a very sensible used price. Quite amazing that the used bass was only a little more expensive! :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom