Tune-o-Matic bridge height adjustment US vs Far Eastern

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 872
Metric vs US bridges

I realise it’s a ‘set once and forget it’ type of thing - but it seems to me this slot head screwdriver adjustment of the far eastern Bridge is a lot more practical than the thumb wheel of the US model (Pictures below)

Are there any other definitive benefits of the US model bridge?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9837
    At first I agreed with you, then changed my mind. You need the right tool to adjust the cheap bridge, the original you just use your fingers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    The definitive benefit of the US one is that it looks right to people who associate the large posts and screwdriver slots with cheap far-east guitars, since that first became a distinctive difference about fifty years ago.

Actually, the taller saddles with deeper grooves on the far-east ones are arguably *better*, as they reduce the problem of strings contacting the back edge of the bridge or jumping out of the grooves… but they do look less elegant. (And are a slight risk to your hand, as they can be quite sharp!)

It’s probably arguable that they sound different too, although it’s hard to directly compare since they’re not interchangeable due to the post size difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32236
    I would argue that the screwdriver slot ones encourage you to adjust it without slackening the strings enough, with all the potential slipping, gouging, loss of an eye etc. 
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    p90fool said:
    I would argue that the screwdriver slot ones encourage you to adjust it without slackening the strings enough, with all the potential slipping, gouging, loss of an eye etc. 
    :)
    That is true… and also chewing up the slots by using the wrong size screwdriver.

A bit like chewing up the stopbar slots by using the wrong tool - any screwdriver. The right one is a coin, they were designed like that on purpose! That’s why the slot has a curved bottom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3339
    tFB Trader
    I don't like inserts on bridge posts so I don't use them, one actually fell out of a early 2000s Gibson LP standard, I don't really like the look either.

I use faber bridges now which are nicely made and have notched saddles 

This isn't a one is better than the other post just my own preference.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 872
    I don't like inserts on bridge posts so I don't use them, one actually fell out of a early 2000s Gibson LP standard, I don't really like the look either.

What's an insert on a bridge post?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3339
    edited July 25 tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:

It's the bit that goes into a body and the post gets screwed into it, the original posts are drilled directly into the body and use thumbwheels, the insert is much bigger.

You can see the insert in the bottom pic with the slot head screw adjuster screwed in.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    edited July 25
    jaymenon said:

It's the bit that goes into a body and the post gets screwed into it, the original posts are drilled directly into the body and use thumbwheels, the insert is much bigger.

You can see the insert in the bottom pic with the slot head screw adjuster screwed in.
    what he said,

this is the big insert style you often see of far eastern guitars

This is the traditional ABR1Gibson version, screwed straight into wood

and there is also a Gibson Nashville version with a smaller insert