Spotify playlists full of AI-generated music

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
edited July 24 in Off Topic
Private eye story in latest issue:

"Jazz, lo-fi, classical, etc" (lyricless) playlists generated by Spotify contain many songs with no bio on artist, for whom all releases are from 2024.

I just had a listen to a Jazz playlist which sounds weird and has no artist links. It's torture.

I assume this is one
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7qy7x2DPclar4vNT84CitI?si=R9L58jXcSQasjMq98SkWeA

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7C9kuKEBhO8xmqAElfgwSG?si=0RMXtYYZR8augjwTkHRXzg
for this one it just says "main artist", and there is no link to click on.

I feel like I'm in that dodgy bar in Star Wars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19799
    Private eye story in latest issue:

"Jazz, lo-fi, classical, etc" (lyricless) playlists generated by Spotify contain many songs with no bio on artist, for whom all releases are from 2024.

I just had a listen to a Jazz playlist. It's torture.

I assume this is one
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7qy7x2DPclar4vNT84CitI?si=R9L58jXcSQasjMq98SkWeA

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7C9kuKEBhO8xmqAElfgwSG?si=0RMXtYYZR8augjwTkHRXzg
    for this one it just says "main artist", and there is no link to click on.

I feel like I'm in that dodgy bar in Star Wars

Just don't be Greedo...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 706
    Are they AI, or just fake? The Danish newspaper, Dagens Nyheter, has been investigating fake artists on Spotify for some time. Many of them are the work of  Johan Röhr, "a Swedish composer behind more than 650 fake artists on Spotify, who has earned more than 15 billion streams so far."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    Litterick said:
    Are they AI, or just fake? The Danish newspaper, Dagens Nyheter, has been investigating fake artists on Spotify for some time. Many of them are the work of  Johan Röhr, "a Swedish composer behind more than 650 fake artists on Spotify, who has earned more than 15 billion streams so far."
    I don't know really, I am just starting on looking into it

as I say, when it just says "Main artist", that seems suspicious
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    The concern (one of many) is that if record companies can churn out AI generated music then there will no reason for them to be paying royalties to actual songwriters or performers. People already paying money to see or listen to Gorillaz, holograms of Elvis, ABBA, etc. Not sure where is heading but I suspect it won’t be good for those who want to create or perform not just music but any of the arts.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4773
    It's crazy. My neighbour is a graphic artist for Clinton Cards. I showed him how quickly you can generate a Christmas card using AI with a few simple prompts, totally customised to the recipient.
    He nearly fell off his chair saying it would normally take weeks from concept to approval with various re-dos in between.

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2706
    edited July 26
    Right, but that's something that AI doesn't do - it's completely incapable of taking direction. A friend of mine is an art director who's sort of fascinated with AI. If you ask for something you get an approximation of that thing, but you can't say "Do the same thing again, but make the rabbits bigger, and make the reds punchier", because that's fundamentally not how it works. I mean, you can say it, but you just get a completely different, and much worse, interpretation of the original prompt. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    On a recent BA flight I listened to the onboard music channels. Plenty of tracks had titles but no mention of the artists (the blues channel is a good example). I couldn’t find any of the tracks I’d noted for further investigation after I got back home. It never occurred to me at the time but possibly AI generated then? Or at least AI written? If so then scarily I couldn’t have told the difference.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 349
    Right, but that's something that AI doesn't do - it's completely incapable of taking direction. A friend of mine is an art director who's sort of fascinated with AI. If you ask for something you get an approximation of that thing, but you can't say "Do the same thing again, but make the rabbits bigger, and make the reds punchier", because that's fundamentally not how it works. I mean, you can say it, but you just get a completely different, and much worse, interpretation of the original prompt. 
    You're right , I spent half my career in graphic design and the majority of designing would be "that's good but can you try changing that bit and make it all a bit spicier" (or some other vague description).
    BUT I think Midjourney which is for image making can accept revisions.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3437
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7893
    Midjourney pretty much does that - but it's a little less plain language and a bit more knowing some numerical parameters to include from what I can see
    Red ones are better.