Both of my childhood heroes on TV recently

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
If you've not seen them, the 2 BBC documentaries recently released on Daley Thompson and Linford Christie are brilliant.

Daley Thompson was my boyhood hero before I even knew what that was. I was massively in to athletics and competed and was in awe of Decathletes, and Daley Thompson became an absolute superhero to me. If I wasn't already completely in awe of him, I was after I did a Decathlon at my athletics club. Madness :-) 

Years later, once he came on the scene, Linford Christie became the active athlete who represented those things to me. He'd also been (as a younger man) an Air Cadet, just like me - I found out when I was at the Air Cadet national athletics championships myself in the same events and saw the senior boys record held by "L Christie" - I asked around - not a coincidence, it was him. His record remained untroubled. 

Even as someone who thought they knew everything there was to know about these men, the more modern, revealing attitude to journalism that has come about in the intervening years paints an even clearer picture of these incredible men and what it took to be them. 

Absolute legends. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1885
    I saw a bit of the Linford one last night, the bit about the lunchbox. I saw the newspaper guy saying that it was all fun and no harm was done and then the interviews with LC and how he had been abused, touched up and how it was still having negative mental effects now.

Just confirmed what utter fuckers the tabloid press are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    Good article on that in the Guardian this morning. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1639
    viz said:
    Good article on that in the Guardian this morning. 
    Link?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    edited July 26
    the_jaffa said:
    I saw a bit of the Linford one last night, the bit about the lunchbox. I saw the newspaper guy saying that it was all fun and no harm was done and then the interviews with LC and how he had been abused, touched up and how it was still having negative mental effects now.

Just confirmed what utter fuckers the tabloid press are.

Gah sorry, poxy editing glitch. I caught the end of the doc where he was talking about how he’d been branded a cheat over the doping offences. He seemed quite the troubled soul and obviously still feels bitter about things. Must go back and watch the whole thing, it looked interesting. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    I saw a bit of the Thompson one, read a bit about the Christie one. People also making links to  what happened to Jason Lee, using racist tropes to demean people and selling it 'as a bit of fun ' (apparently the lunchbox thing was started by The Sun, as if there weren't enough reasons to hate it). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I saw a bit of the Thompson one, read a bit about the Christie one. People also making links to  what happened to Jason Lee, using racist tropes to demean people and selling it 'as a bit of fun ' (apparently the lunchbox thing was started by The Sun, as if there weren't enough reasons to hate it). 

Jason Lee? What's the story there?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    the_jaffa said:

He's the footballer David Badiel used to make jokes about (on Fantasy Football League I think). David apologised to him for being racist about 25 years later, it was part of his Jews Don't Count documentary a couple of years ago. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Ah, I was not aware of that and only knew of the Amercian ex-skateboarder come actor of the same name.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    the_jaffa said:

He's the footballer David Badiel used to make jokes about (on Fantasy Football League I think). David apologised to him for being racist about 25 years later, it was part of his Jews Don't Count documentary a couple of years ago. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/21/jason-lee-interview-david-baddiel-apology

I'd forgotten how far it went, to be honest, until I read that.  I don't think an equivalent show would do anything similar nowadays.