Lazy j 10lc vs Cornell Romany 12

What's Hot
Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 274
Potential gas attack…..

I’ve been enjoying the cornell romany 12 but I’m intrigued by the lazy j 10lc.  I haven’t had a go on one yet but any owners who owned both care to share in a home environment how the volumes compare?  

What I want more from the Cornell is more fat chewy juice.  I find the Cornell more cutting which I don’t mind but wonder if a pedal gets me there or does the lazy j do that more naturally.

currently I only run the lazy j deuce into the Cornell
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 501
    If the deuce isn’t giving you enough juice…

No seriously, I’ve owned both these amps and I think what you’re possibly describing is the difference between 6L6 vs 6V6, especially at home volumes. The Lazy J, being 6V6, will growl a lot more at lower vol than the Cornell, assuming you have nothing in front of the amp to push it.

I personally prefer that, and use the guitar volume to roll it back. Others will prefer the headroom and use pedals to push it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5201
    edited July 29
    I previously owned a Romany and currently have the Lazy J. I can’t really remember how loud the Romany is but it’s pretty irrelevant for home usage as both amps would be way too loud at full tilt for any kind of normal home use. Unless deafening yourself would be part of normal home use!

They are very different amps though, the Lazy J is a much more sophisticated beast tonally imo and more flexible, it has great onboard reverb and tremolo options, and even without pedals it can get that thicker chewy tone if you mean more of a Neil Young style, hugely overdriven 5e3 sound. And with a Cruiser Deuce into the Lazy J, wow, there’s more fat chewy juice than anyone could ever want!

The Romany is a very decent amp and lots of owners like them but it’s not a 5e3 derivative so it’s hard to compare and imho it’s not in the same ballpark as the Lazy J. The Lazy J also normally has a Celestion Blue, one of the finest speakers known to man, and that’s one of its many strengths. But whether that same speaker could transform a Romany to greater heights I don’t know, although it probably wouldn’t help with the fat chewy bit.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5280
    edited July 29
    I’ve had my Romany Plus 1x12” as my only amp for over 5 years now, but I quite fancy a J10LC too…..so if anyone fancies a p/x….. :)
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 274
    Cheers I think I need to go try a lazy j and see what I think of it first.  I might grab a Kingsley page and see how that vibes with the Cornell.  If it gives me more chew.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31488
    So- I've had the Cornell and j10.

Cornell more scooped, J is more mid.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5201
    Th4fonz said:
    Cheers I think I need to go try a lazy j and see what I think of it first.  I might grab a Kingsley page and see how that vibes with the Cornell.  If it gives me more chew.
    I have a Kingsley Page and imo that is a fantastic pedal which tends to give you more of what you’ve got already (albeit a superb sounding ‘more’) rather than altering the fundamental nature of your amp’s sound. So if by ‘chew’ you mean a fatter drive sound I’m not convinced that the Page will give you that.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1538
    Th4fonz said:
    I have a Kingsley Page and imo that is a fantastic pedal which tends to give you more of what you’ve got already (albeit a superb sounding ‘more’) rather than altering the fundamental nature of your amp’s sound. So if by ‘chew’ you mean a fatter drive sound I’m not convinced that the Page will give you that.
    Agree with all of this - it's really what I love about the Page.

I reckon you might want to look at a Harlot instead.

Och, you know what I mean.