Pedal switcher advice wanted

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3414
in FX
I've never really bothered with switchers before, but I'm now in a band that covers a lot of ground and I've realised I'm doing more tap dancing than I want to, so thought I'd dip my toe in the waters of pedal switchers. I've been doing some reading up and research, but was hoping for some more real world based opinions. 

I'll have to build a new board around whatever I decide to go on, but the current board is as follows:

Tuner > Lightspeed (always on) > TS > Protein > Revival Drive Compact > Amp

In the effects loop I have:

Flashback > Hall of Fame (always on) > Spark Mini boost

I'd be looking to replicate the same set up, and utilise the separate/split of the Protein via the TRS option. Also, I'm looking to swap the Flashback with a Keeley Halo in the near future, so that needs to be a consideration.

Any ideas what switchers could help me with this? I'll be needing the ability to store pre-sets and change routing options etc.

I will say that I'm not flush with cash, so probably not at the GigRig level of switcher, alas.
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2227
    I can only speak about the Boss ES-8 and the Harley Benton FXL8 Pro.

Only the ES-8 will let you swap the order of pedals though.

Since I started using a switcher I haven't looked back.  There's so many options. 

I have used my Duellist with the TRS to mono cables into two separate loops. 

The FXL8 Pro is great, but you're limited to 4 into the loop, 4 in the front and you can't change the order.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3414
    andy1839 said:
    I can only speak about the Boss ES-8 and the Harley Benton FXL8 Pro.

Only the ES-8 will let you swap the order of pedals though.

Since I started using a switcher I haven't looked back.  There's so many options. 

I have used my Duellist with the TRS to mono cables into two separate loops. 

The FXL8 Pro is great, but you're limited to 4 into the loop, 4 in the front and you can't change the order.

Thanks Andy - did/do you use the effects loop on your amp? How does that work in terms of connecting the ES-8? This is where i'm getting mildly confused.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2227
    I've sent you a PM
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited July 26
    I went down the pedal switching route a few years ago with the Boss ES-8 which is an amazing bit of kit. I controlled pedal order, amp switching and midi commands along with the ability to run loops in parallel. Ultimately my back couldn't take carrying around the flightcase it was in so I picked up a Boss MS-3 multi FX which has three loops which you can move anywhere in the chain, but not change the order. I was able to retire a bunch of my pedals (delay, mods, compressor etc) and just use my favourite dirt pedals in the loop. I can still do midi and amp switching if I want. I'm primarily a live guitarist so at gig volume no one, even me(!), can tell if I'm using my Source Audio Nemesis for delays or whatever is built into the MS-3. The MS-3 can work either in patch mode or stompbox mode and with a bit of understanding about how the programming works I was easily able to replicate my ES-8 board in a quarter the size and weight of the ES-8 board. All I'm missing is the ability to change the order of my analogue loops and being able to use parallel effects, neither of which I care about.

I also have a Boss GT-1000 which is a multi-fx and amp modeller if I decide to go direct and not carry an amp with me.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    I run a Boss ES-5. 5 loops and only mono, but it still has the ability to reorder the loops and send/receive MIDI. It's slightly smaller than an ES-8. Seems really well built. I recently added a WIDI Jack to the MIDI in, which lets my iPad app (Songbook Pro) send a PC command whenever I change the song I'm looking at and the ES-5 loads the correct preset to start the song. :-) 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 880
    +1 on the Boss ES5 switcher. 

Here is mine. Just got the Line 6 M5 so I need to learn how to control it with Midi. 

There is video on YT of a guy who controlled his Halo via the ctrl outlet and a TRS cable might be worth checking out. 

I have also seen people use the four cable method with the ES8. 

Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5245
    ^^^ I've been able to bodge 4CM with my ES-5 by using one loop for a pedal I can switch on and off with MIDI and for the send/return to the front end of the amp. With the Keeley Halo you'd be able to use it like this:

Guitar -> Lightspeed (always on so no loop required) -> ES-5 in -> LOOP 1: TS -> LOOP 2: Protein 1 -> LOOP 3: Protein 2 -> LOOP 4: RD Compact -> LOOP 5: To amp input / fx send -> Halo -> ES-5 out -> HoF -> Spark -> FX return.

It's not perfect- you'd have to switch the Spark boost on and off separately (although the ES-5 can boost the output volume and as such might make the Spark redundant)- but it might serve.

If needed, you can add a second loop switcher device controlled by the ES-5. Bright Onion makes a dual loop controlled by a TRS input that could run off one of the ES-5's TRS outs. Alternatively, there are small MIDI controlled switchers with more loops. Still cheaper and more compact than an ES-8, although obviously you can't change the order of the loops in your "slave" switcher.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5038
    I have a GigRig Quartermaster loop switcher; it's just very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom