Road worn acoustics?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PjonPjon Frets: 327
    What's weird is why, when I sell one of my guitars, it's significantly under retail price when I've spent a few years getting it 'worn' nicely for the next user!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 259
    @jimmyguitar my apologies! You must give that thing some stick though! , =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4456
    I really dislike the term "pre war" (I just think it's lame)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2095
    I really dislike the term "pre war" (I just think it's lame)
    It's less relevant describing US or North American built guitars given how unlikely it was that it would have survived among the rubble strewn streets of Western Europe during endless luftwaffe bombing raids or survived the Allies counter offensive.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    Soupman said:
    Sorry people, I don't see the point of sn 'aged' finish on a new guitar - on the black Atkin above, the Baggs pickup looks more expensive than the guitar.
    I accept dings scratches and wear as a matter of course but I wouldn't shell out for a new one aged like that.
    I've possibly opened a can of worms here but it wasn't intended to offend anyone who does like aged finishes.
     :)

I'm with you - can't see the point but it's up to the individual.
    I agree. I can see some charm in a seasoned-looking finish, but actual dings and scratches? I can't see much aesthetic appeal in those.
  • shezshez Frets: 3
    Almost made another most predictable post, but managed to stop myself...
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 159
    Ok so my two pence on relic finishes. I like them on electrics. Never really saw any I've liked on an acoustic therefore didn't give it much thought.

Fast forward to this year and I purchased a pristine Martin d35. It's so mint that it'll likely be a house guitar unless playing on a stage away from the public.

I then got incredible GAS for a smaller body acoustic and bought an atkin om37 aged. It's a really really good guitar and because of its worn finish the next weekend took it straight to my local rough and ready open mic to which it got passed across the bar, handled by all and sundry and I really didn't care. Something that I'd never feel about any other guitar that's £3k new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5033
    Here's my Martin 00-15, it's about 20 years old and was like this when I bought it:

I think that patch of wear has been caused by a previous owner using a thumb-ring for percussive effects, unless anyone has any better ideas?

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2088
    I love a battered old acoustic 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2823
    DavidR said:
    Here’s another Yamaha, an F335, a bitty dinged up but has a nice story behind it.  Very special to me.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/56877/a-special-guitar#latest

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1044
    edited August 15
    I think you're right in that it hasn't caught on to the same extent as electric guitars, but there's "Pre war guitars".

Was just about to mention that https://www.pre-warguitars.com/model-d do various levels of distressing. (I think it’s 1-5) depending on the model type chosen.

Edit: I found this describing the various 1-3 distress levels https://www.pre-warguitars.com/distress-levels 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 259
    edited August 16
    ^^ I still believe paying someone to artificially stress sn instrument is just plain nuts. 
    Surely it's about how it plays and sounds, not how it looks?? ( With the caveat that ugly headstocks are not allowed ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1044
    There is a Level 4 distressing on their Triple 0 model, at the bottom: https://www.pre-warguitars.com/ooo-om-1

Bit too far for me, but I can see why some people may want that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 6
    I find that distressing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2095
    Skip Tossed Acoustics.