HX stomp output really quiet when using DI box

What's Hot
At home I use my HX stomp connected to a Yamaha HS8 monitor with a normal guitar lead for practice.

I have a radial pro DI and JDI passive direct boxes and thought I would try going into the HS8 via either of those and an XLR lead. When I do this the output is really low and I have to crank up the level on the monitor and the HX Stomp. It’s the same when using either of the DI boxes, the only thing I can’t try is using another XLR as I only have one. However the sound is really good and there is no change when giving the XLR a good wiggle. It’s just much quieter than when connecting with a guitar lead. Is this normal? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 421
    I haven't done this but there is the option in the Stomp's command center to change your level output - i.e. line or instrument. Maybe that's part of it?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2039
    I expect that the jack plug input when being used with unbalanced cables / plugs (standard guitar leads) are expecting -10 dBU signal level (consumer electronics line level standard), whereas the balanced XLR input that you are using in conjunction with DI box is expecting +4dBU Pro standard. There’s 14dB’s difference which explains why you have to crank the gain knob on speaker when using DI XLR input. You may be able to set the Stomp for +4dBU output level, not sure, I don’t have one. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    In the Global Settings menu you can change the output level from instrument to line, that should help.

Not sure if you can do that per patch or only globally. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2447
    When I’m playing bass direct to PA I use an Origin Effects BassRig pedal as my amp sim, and it goes to FOH via a Radial Pro DI (I don’t use the BassRig’s own balanced output as I don’t care for the speaker sim). The output from the Radial is indeed very low - it’s converting from high to low impedance and from somewhere between instrument and line level to mic level. The PA folks seem to be fine with this.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10880
    A passive DI box effectively trades voltage level for current ......that's how it has a low impedance on the output  so yeah the level is lower.  A DI box is designed to go into the mic input of a desk ... not the input of an active monitor 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom