New Operating systems. Not that impressive

What's Hot
So I've been playing with windows 10 and Yosimte.

Now they have been marketed (as per usual) as the best thing since sliced bread.

But I wonder, how much actual effort has gone into them, does it really take years to do a few
UI tweaks, move a bunch of tiles from full screen to a start menu that was there a few iterations ago?

OK apple have added some nice integration touches via icloud, but at the end of the day they are all just
a bunch of urls and ftp scripts.

So where are all the big new innovations e.g. the jump from windows 3.1 -->95, 95-->XP-> vista/win7 (even then vista was more of a UI tweak) and Mac went from Power to x86 (must have been a bugger to port)

I'm no professional programmer, but I managed to create quite a complex database application in 6 months from scratch in VB 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    I'm assuming you don't really understand how complicated it is to implement an operating system. 

OSX Tiger contained about 85 million lines of code. I suspect it's quite a few more by now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    edited October 2014
    Well I've dabbled in linux, compiling kernels, etc.
    And I realise there is a stupid amount of code in there.
    It is more about the scale of changes. It seems to me the scale of change is slowing
    Or have we just run out of new ideas, so each release is just a tweak, bug fixes and performance improvements.

Most of the underlying Operating systems stuff, i.e. the bits that interact with the hardware, are pretty much tried and 
    tested (the real operating system)

Or is it the companies no longer big up the changes under the hood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    Yosamite has had: 
    A complete visual overhaul including new compositing and a dark theme.
    New Spotlight
    New Notification system
    Updated Mail and Safari 
    iCloud Drive and family sharing
    Continuity
    CloudKit
    Swift - New programming language for development
    And consider that it's only a year since the last version and it's a free upgrade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    edited October 2014
    Personally, I think new operating systems are designed to be seamless, for both feature and function. Whether the new OS is good or bad, that's subjective; however, perhaps if Yosemite, for example, was used for say a month and then the user went back to Mavericks, the user would possibly realise what additions Yosemite does have.  Also, the transition between Windows 3.1 and 95; XP and Vista was 3 years and 6 years respectively.  A year, I guess, isn't enough to have the in-yer-face revamp a consumer hopes for. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I could make an even better one typing with my nose.
    My V key is broken